Cyclists waste petrol

They have every right to be on the road.

You're the one who ain't green.

Reply to
Andy

I've seen that. They are usually dressed in gaily colored Lycra to boot. Personally the further I get from the road on a bicycle the better I like it. Fortunately there are quite a few paths around here for recreational riding.

Reply to
rbowman

I've never been very impressed by them. I did have an Audi once and we didn't get along well either.

The BMW motorcycle riders tend to be more of the same. The club came through town and there were several arrests and one fatality iirc. When the Hells Angels came here on vacation there were many arrests -- all of local kids protesting the cops treatment of them. The police chief got fired over that fiasco. Turns out you can't import out of state cops to swell your ranks in this state.

I wouldn't mind an old RS80 or such but the new BMW bikes are overpriced and a nightmare to work on.

Reply to
rbowman

So a cyclist just causes petrol to be used that they would have used had they gone by car. Except not as much.

Alternatively, with more cars are on the roads you have to wait longer at junctions. Sitting stationary isn't free.

Reply to
TMS320

we dinnie ....

Reply to
Jimbore at the trailer trash park ...

the problem is when I'm cycling I hate motorists and bikers......when I'm on a bike I hate cyclists and motorists......when I'm in my car I hate bikers and motorists........wonder what will happen when I get and build up my escooter and ride on the road and in cycle lanes and bus lanes.......probably hate EVERYBODY......except myself for having discovered the best way to travel around locally ....

Reply to
Jimbore at the trailer trash park ...

And so they spend much time and money making special cycle ways, or worse shared spaces where everyone has to avoid each other resulting in the less able not going anywhere near them, reducing footfall in town centres and putting more people in cars instead.

I do sometimes wonder if the planners actually think things right through to the end. For example even when a cycle way is totally segregated, it pinches road space from both vehicles and pedestrians, but come the start and end of said cycle way, the cyclist has to go back on the road, cross running traffic or mingle with pedestrians, so with fewer lanes of traffic, the flow is slower and with the mixing of cyclists at the end you often need lights to stop accidents. It may look good but come mid winter all the good weather cyclists are back in their cars moaning about the lack of road space. I have pointed this out to the councils and others but am met with the blank its current policy to discourage car use. Next you will find that shops on top of fighting online competition will want cars back to increase their customers again during the winter. Whatever you do, unless you can move all the building back, you cannot have it all ways.

Interesting to note that several companies are now back to talking about cars that run on hydrogen again for long distance use, using fuel cells. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Sew hwot yew pedent.

Reply to
Peter Keller

yes and when the lycra slips ....

Reply to
Peter Keller

Uses a microscopic amount of fuel if you have auto-stop.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Uses significant amounts getting back up to speed.

Take a 1 tonne car at 30 mph (13m/s). mks system makes the KE 500* 13^2 = 84,500 J or about 6cc of diesel at 33% efficiency.

Each stop is costing you about 1p

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That may be, but a different cost to sitting stationary.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Cops are always assholes.

In the UK the cops are in fear of being done for assault. They're always very polite and behave like girls. It's quite funny arguing with a traffic cop, they let you insult them.

ROFL!

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

And I laugh.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Anyone working for a council is an idiot, not sure how that happens, but they have no common sense at all. Round here, next to a primary school, they've rebuilt the entire junction (they claim for safety) and not put any kind of markings on it at all. Nobody knows which road has priority and I've seen several near misses and hooting of horns. One day some kids are going to be squashed and I hope a council moron gets jailed for manslaughter.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Well yes, sitting staionary in a garage costs nothing.

Sitting stationary because you have to give way to a cyclist costs a lot.

CVompared with going a steady 30mph

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why on earth would you want to drive as slow as 30mph?!

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Then why can't you get up to 5th?

Why waste fuel in a lower gear? If the engine will run comfortably in top gear, then do so.

Why would someone be more likely to stay in 5th with cyclists? Is English not your first language?

Then you must have more vicious law enforcement than the UK. Most folk here ignore the limits except when there's a police camera. And you get warned of those by folk coming the other way flashing lights at you.

You pasted the same crap 3 times at the end.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote

Mate of mine that ran the entire water supply operation isnt.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Likely its just taking a long time to do that stuff there.

Doesn't happen, tho it certainly should with that sort of thing.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You left a few out... When I'm walking in the woods I hate mountain bikers, unless I'm on a mountain bike of course. If I'm on my dualsport motorcycle, both are unacceptable. Horses are a pain in the ass no matter what my mode of transportation is. That goes double if I'm trying to ride the damn thing.

Oh, and quads suck. Until I get too old to deal with two wheels and then I guess a quad would be okay.

Reply to
rbowman