Rust preventative

I am trying to find rust cure by tri-win but I can't find it.

I am looking for a rust preventative that is similar.

Thanks.

Reply to
Andy

Safety data sheet shows mainly 28% phosphoric acid. Look for something with similar label.

Frank

You can find phosphoric acid in the masonry section of places like Home Depot. It's used for etching concrete.

It has the advantage of attacking rust and not the base metal. It also leaves a phosphate film on the material. Hydrochloric is more aggressive and the surface tends to rust as soon as it dries out.

Reply to
rbowman

Thanks for the info.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

thanks.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Not sure about MetalPrep for steel, but for cleaning/etching aluminum before painting - "alumiprep" is available at autobody supply houses for about $60 a gallon. At my local plumbing supply I pickup a gallon of resin cleaner for my water softener for about $20. Exactly the same composition - phosphoric acid and a surfactant. Even the same percentages. (Rez Care) (same as Pur Gard) (RezCare is about $17 on Amazpn)

I use it on steel too - but it doesn't contain any zinc so I get iron phosphate but no zinc phosphate coating.

Reply to
Clare Snyder