Rust preventative

I am trying to find rust cure by tri-win but I can't find it.
I am looking for a rust preventative that is similar.
Thanks.
On 9/8/2018 2:30 PM, Andy wrote:

Safety data sheet shows mainly 28% phosphoric acid. Look for something with similar label.
http://www.rust-cure.com/safety-data-sheet
On 09/08/2018 04:58 PM, Frank wrote:

You can find phosphoric acid in the masonry section of places like Home Depot. It's used for etching concrete.
It has the advantage of attacking rust and not the base metal. It also leaves a phosphate film on the material. Hydrochloric is more aggressive and the surface tends to rust as soon as it dries out.
On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 9:07:22 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:

thanks.
Andy

Not sure about MetalPrep for steel, but for cleaning/etching aluminum before painting - "alumiprep" is available at autobody supply houses for about $60 a gallon. At my local plumbing supply I pickup a gallon of resin cleaner for my water softener for about $20. Exactly the same composition - phosphoric acid and a surfactant. Even the same percentages. (Rez Care) (same as Pur Gard) (RezCare is about $17 on Amazpn)
I use it on steel too - but it doesn't contain any zinc so I get iron phosphate but no zinc phosphate coating.
On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 5:58:39 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

Thanks for the info.
Andy