OT. Better Writing

From Mark Perry at AEI: <http://www.aei.org/publication/the-two-minutes-it-takes-to-read-this-will-improve-your-writing-forever/#discussion
On 9/8/2018 7:54 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I like to refer people to this:
http://gunning-fog-index.com/
It was provided in a short course on writing I was sent to by my first full time employer.
On 9/9/18 6:55 AM, Frank wrote:

Bookmarked it.

On 9/9/2018 8:08 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I ran a couple of George Wills' columns through it and emailed him about it. His obtuse columns needed a graduate school education to follow and newspapers are written at the 8th grade level.
Economists like Walter Williams writings in Townhall are easy to understand. But, if you look at his academic papers they are erudite as expected in journals.
Point is, you address your audience and if you want a broad one, write simply.
On 9/9/18 11:50 AM, Oren wrote:

From the article: "From the cell at Florida State Prison, making use of the prison library and writing in pencil on prison stationery,[2] Gideon appealed to the United States Supreme Court in a suit against the Secretary of the Florida Department of Corrections, H.G. Cochran. Cochran later retired and was replaced with Louie L. Wainwright before the case was heard by the Supreme Court. Gideon argued in his appeal that he had been denied counsel and, therefore, his Sixth Amendment rights, as applied to the states by the Fourteenth Amendment, had been violated."
????