Cordless telephones

I have never lost one to lightning but I have good primary protection on the house. I have never lost anything and we have ass kicking thunderstorms just about every day, all summer long. Florida is the lightning capital of the world. Lightning protection is really more than a few protectors tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

Then why do you live there? Didn't you do any research before buying a house?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Cars are just seen by the government as a big cash cow. It is not just the paperwork, they also slam a huge tax on you for bringing a car into the state.

Reply to
gfretwell

It works for a few minutes, then you dry off and you are hot again.

Reply to
gfretwell

What is the unit?

Reply to
gfretwell

I have a panel protector on the main and another one on the sub that runs the house. Then I have individual protectors on the equipment that uses multiple inputs that sinks them all to a common ground point. I also have a very good grounding electrode system that includes an in ground pool, the foundation rebar and all of the steel in the deck slabs along with a bunch of rods all bonded together with fat copper (2 ga).

Reply to
gfretwell
[snip]

There's a ditch in the middle of the next block, with a lot of trees. After one recent storm, I found the wires in the ditch. The problem might have been fixed now, when a lot of trees were trimmed after the storm.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

That reminds me of when I lived in an apartment where the A/C failed a lot and I had to use my "backup system". That is, take a shower and don't dry off. The ceiling fan sounded like someone dragging a heavy chain across an iron floor all night, but it wasn't as bad as being hot.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

te:

scading surge protection on power systems would protect equipment from d= amage due to lightning or EMP. They start where the power enters the bui= lding then all the distribution panels down to the individual pieces of = electronic gear. The power company here will provide a meter base surge = arrester if a customer orders it from them. I don't know the specifics o= n what the power company charges for it or what they guarantee it will p= rotect but I've seen on Amazon where you can purchase your own. I'd thin= k that down there in flashy Floridastan everyone would have a meter base= surge arrester. ?(?)?

You must have worse storms than me. I just have standard little =A32.99= surge protectors.

-- =

You can lead a man to Congress . . . . . . but you can't make him think.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

A kWh.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Try the UK where they charge 4 times more for tax on petrol (er.... gas) as the cost of the gas. That's 400% tax!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

That is electricity but how do they measure gas?

BTW 12p a KWH is not bad. Ours is a little cheaper 11.5c at 1.28 pounds to the dollar There are lots of places in the US where it is 3 to 4 times that.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yeah but you get to go to the doctor for free ;-)

The tax on gas is about 16-17% here (state and federal) I paid $2.24 a gallon today, up from $2.15, 3 days ago, because of the hurricane or so they say.

Reply to
gfretwell

The same, a kWh. They're both forms of energy and can be measured in the same way. Enough gas or electricity to give out 1kW of heat for one hour, simple.

Last time I checked (about 2 years ago when studying bitcoin mining), all of America was much cheaper than the UK for electricity. I think about 2/3rds of the cost.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I doubt you pay as much as California. It is 45 cents or more there from what I hear.

Reply to
gfretwell

Why tame them? We just live together in peace and harmony.

Reply to
gfretwell

That seems odd. It's a really hot state. Ever heard of solar power? It would be cheaper to make your own at that price!

Er... actually you're wrong, it's 15.2 cents:

James Wilkinson Sword

Gators are dangerous and should be shot.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

For 1606 KWH I paid:

Power Supply Services   $110.80

Power Supply Cost Recovery   16.86

Rate Realignment Surcharge/Credit   .08

Delivery Services   30.87

Monthly Service Charge   7.25

Nuclear Decommissioning Surcharge   1.61

Energy Optimization Surcharge   3.26

Renewable Energy Surcharge   3.00

Depreciation Credit   -1.13

Low-Income Energy Assistance Fund   .96

State Sales Tax   6.90

Current Electric Charges Due   $180.46

The "Low-Income Energy Assistance Fund" pisses me off.  I really hate being forced to help pay for some lazy brick-tossin lootin' democrat's electric bill.

Reply to
Jose

Why the f*ck are you paying so many things? My bill just has one figure. I can choose to pay extra for green electricity, but it's voluntary. I chose the cheap un-environmentally-friendly power.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword