Cordless telephones

Lightning "protectors"/surge arrestors are part and parcel of a good UPS. Two birds for the price of one.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

You must have fossil fuel hot water, no air conditioning, fossil stove, city water etc

Reply to
gfretwell

Because well pump and air conditioning compressors have high starting current requirements?

Reply to
Bert

They do. My A/C compressor has a running current of 17A and a starting current of 82A.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I assumed a generator would be like an inverter in that it could handle a short burst above it's continuous load.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Most do. They will advertise them at either the running or startup (typically the former) and will generally handle a startup load ~ 25% greater.

Thus, a genset rated at 9.2kW will tolerate a starting load of 11.5kW

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I try to keep my generator loaded around 50-75% capacity since that's where the voltage and frequency are the most stable. If you have a lot of motor loads, power factor while on generator is a concern as well.

Reply to
Fred

Shouldn't a decent generator compensate for that sort of thing?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

They do compenstae,but if a heavy load is put or taken off, it takes a second or two for the engine to compensate for the load. You get some over or under shoot on the voltage.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That's not much more. Motors need a LOT above their running load to start.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

United my arse.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

So somehow your presumably identical system fails while theirs doesn't?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

And here in the UK they're talking about all this new wonderful 5G shit, with fibre broadband speed signals. Yeah right, let's be able to make calls first....

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Jews are in the news all the time whining about "anti-semetic stuff". Who cares? Believe in a fictitious being and you'll get made fun of, now f*ck off out of my life.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Natural (methane) gas. 2.5p a unit instead of 12p a unit.

An AC unit is typically a few kW.

Both gas. Electricity is inefficient.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

But you just said lightning blows them up.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

What a bloody farce. Same country, paperwork needed to move a bit.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 03:47:13 +0100, Uncle Monster w= rote:

te:

e) from Charter/Spectrum Cable. At home, I have 60mbs from the same prov= ider. The hospital I use has extremely fast Internet service. I think I = measured 100mbs the last time I connected to the hospital WiFi during th= e day. Here at the center I've measured 60mbs at night. Me and my brothe= r have never had our Charter/Spectrum Cable Internet go out that I can r= ecall. The modems are plugged into backup power supplies along with our = computers so everything stays up even when the power blinks.?(?)?

I lost Internet service at my home. Back in January of 2015, the last ti= me I was home, the power was out in my neighborhood for 6 hours. I have = a number of UPS units rated from 350va to 1kw on my computer and network= gear and I never lost Internet service. I shut everything down except f= or the LED desk lamps which were plugged into 500va UPS units and the la= mps kept the house safely lit during the power outage. ?(?)?

down to the administrator's office and told them how to power cycle the = network equipment to get the system back up. It went down because of a p= ower blink. There are generators here at the center if the power goes ou= t but they need a UPS on the computer network equipment. I know you have= a lot of storms down there in the peninsula but we have them too up her= e in the hills. Perhaps the storms here aren't as severe as those down t= here between the Atlantic and The Gulf??(?)?

re nothing but trees. Whenever there is a bad storm, trees come down. Ba= ck in the 1990's me an my brother were installing a lot of NG powered Ge= nerac generators in wealthy neighborhoods like in the city of Mountain B= rook where all the rich Honkies live. The smallest was the 8kw with the = B&S 16hp air cooled and the larger gensets 10-20kw used a Turkish Fiat 4= cyl liquid cooled engine. The last Generac I installed was earlier in th= is century and it was equipped with Generac's own manufactured big twin = cyl air cooled engine. I've no experience with their newest gensets but = the most popular model seems to be their 22kw whole house backup model. = According to their site, they have a new model genset designed to work w= ith alternative energy or off the grid systems like solar power that kic= ks in when the batteries run down. That would be an interesting setup fo= r a home in the sticks with large solar panels and a big

eak is about 10kW.

n hot humid weather like we have here in the Southeastern U.S., air cond= itioning is a necessity. The elderly or people with health problems woul= d be in bad shape without it. It gets so hot sometimes that the city wil= l open air conditioned auditoriums as cooling shelters for the homeless = or people who don't have AC in their homes. An American home may have a = number of appliances that use quite a bit of power. At my home I have 2 = refrigerator/freezers, a dishwasher, a clothes washer, clothes dryer, ce= ntral air conditioning, 2 microwave ovens and various appliances that pl= ug in as needed including my electric kettle. I have gas heat, a gas sto= ve and a gas water heater. I use LED and CFL bulbs throughout my home. M= y housemate who's taking care of my home said the electric bill was up d= uring the very humid +90=C2=B0F weather we've been having lately. The he= at can kill people. As I recall, you had a heat wave a while back =

ns there in The UK can't handle the heat the way us Southerners can. =E3= =83=BD(=E3=83=85)=E3=83=8E

tinue-8718171.html

Heat is easy to cure. Take a shower.

-- =

A man walks into a bar with a slab of asphalt under his arm and says, "A= beer please, and one for the road."

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

There are a lot of places here beyond the reach of the natural gas infrastructure and city water. We use what we can get. Actually electric heating of any kind is 100% efficient. No heat goes up the stack but there is some inefficiency getting the electricity to the customer. It is still cheaper than trucked in propane tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

That's the point. Converting the gas/oil/whatever to electricity is very very wasteful, as is transporting it to your house. In the UK, gas costs 2.5p a unit. Electricity costs 12p a unit.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword