Cordless telephones

Jose posted for all of us...

eing forced to help pay for some lazy brick-tossin lootin' democrat's elect ric bill.

Hey Jose, surcharge=tax money that disappears.

Reply to
Tekkie®

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 04:52:37 +0100, Uncle Monster w= rote:

when it switches to battery. There's also a slight dip in brightness e= very second, so it's not that even an output. But the main thing is I l= ose less LED bulbs due to the excessively high voltage I have here, as t= he smartups drops the voltage with a transformer as necessary. 256V whe= n you're meant to get 230V is rather shit.

can call the power company and they'll send out a tech who will check th= e voltage and take action to correct the problem. Most of the transforme= rs around here have selectable taps that the power company can change so= the voltage supplied to homes can be adjusted so it falls within specs.= If I saw 256 volts across the phases at my home I would be a bit concer= ned but if I saw 265 volts I'd call my power company. As I recall, the l= ast time I measured the voltage across the phases at my home, it was bel= ow 240 volts which means there was just under 120 volts at the standard = receptacles. That was three Summers ago when the central AC was running.= None of the LED bulbs I've bought have failed but a lot of the CFL lamp= s I've owned have died. I think it may have to do with whether a lamp is= rated for base up or base down operation. One of my desk lamps at home = has vent slits at the top of the bell shaped reflector and =

have that aren't vented. All my desk lamps have LED bulbs in them now a= nd are barely warm to the touch with the bell shaped reflector pointing = down. ?(?)?

stuff I've done has been underground to pad mounted transformers. It's b= een 30 years since I was out in The Marshall Islands running high voltag= e power. We used 15kv rated cable even though the system was 4160. The l= argest island was only 2.5 miles long and it was all coral we had to dig= up to lay our 4" PVC conduit. I don't remember how many conduits we lai= d in the trenches but we added extra empty 4" PVC for future expansion. = I think one of the digging crews found the body of a Japanese soldier fr= om the time the Japanese military were on the island during WWII. There = was quite a battle there when American forces took the island. There is = a lot of history to see at the Kwajalein Atoll. Every time a crew starte= d digging, they found some of it. =E3=83=BD(=E3=83=85)=E3=83=8E

And if it's anything like the UK, the whole bloody digging operation get= s stopped for months while somebody investigates.

-- =

The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 20:20:45 +0100, Tekkie=AE wrote= :

? It would be cheaper to make your own at that price!

Same here. At last our government is realising it's a money pit.

Pubic transport is a waste of money.

-- =

Reality is for people who can't handle alcohol and joints.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 20:23:27 +0100, Tekkie=AE wrote= :

being forced to help pay for some lazy brick-tossin lootin' democrat's = electric bill.

Do the government make electricity for me? No. The power company does.= None of my electricity bill should go to the government.

-- =

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Those induction motors would run really, really fast ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

The government doesn't make my whiskey either (you Scots do) but my government still taxes the hell out of it. Yours probably gets a taste too.

Reply to
gfretwell
[snip]

Once I went to see a movie called "Battlestar Galactica" because they wore showing it in something called "Sensurround" and I wanted to find out what that was. It's infrasonics, sound you can't hear because of the low frequency but with enough power you feel it.

Also, 15Hz transformers would need to be bigger.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Surcharge is also a way to lie about rates. They can say it's 8 cents per KWh, then add on so many taxes, surcharges, and adjustments you're really paying a lot more. I divide the total bill by KWh used and get the real rate.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

So just like any boy racer's car then? I used to have a 6kW stereo in mine. The speakers filled the entire boot of the 4x4. On full volume, you couldn't see anything in the rearview mirror as the air was disturbed so much it became a blur.

Then why not 1000Hz? Maybe the whine would annoy us more than the hum?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

That's why I brew my own. The government doesn't make it, they don't get paid for it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Surely an induction motor doesn't spin at 60Hz? Isn't it a multiple of 60Hz depending on the coils?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Sorry I read that as 15khz. Yeah 15 hz would make transformers huge and you would still "feel" it. OTOH IBM did a lot with 400hz back when computers filled a room. We either had MG sets or a big inverter to get it from 60hz. Transformers definitely had more of a "sing" to them. We could make them significantly smaller and filtering was easier. It was a way to avoid some of the big switching power supplies, phase controlled supplies and other RF generators. In the 70s there was a lot of chatter about electrical noise in the computer rooms that led to lots of urban legends throughout the industry, most not true, but the dirty little secret was it was us. Once the switcher power supplies got electrically "quieter" the need for 400 hz went away.

Reply to
gfretwell

About like my phone bill. It is about $ 20 per month, but I have 3 taxes or more added, 911,long distance, and maybe a few more fees thta bring it to almost $ 45.

Cable has been saying special deal with phone and internet, so I am going to give that a try. All I have with them now is internet. I can get the phone added on for $ 10 more per month. Not sure how long that will last as they do knot know.

To start with they said it was for new customers only and if I did change, I would have to give up my earthlink emai and go with their service. Told them if I could not keep that and the phone number, no deal as it would take me a week or month to get all my banking and doctors and other things notified. They finally said I could keep eveything. Internet is working fine now and waiting on them to switch the telephone over.

I did have TV with them but 2 years ago they went to a box at each set and started charging for that box. I went to Direct TV as they were less for the same coverage.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Exactly. some of those fees go right into the pocked of the utility it sounds better to itemize it as some sort of recovery fee, but it is just recovering profit. If you go to the store for a loaf of bread you pay a flat $3, not $2 with a bunch of itemized fees for taxes, transportation of wheat, warehouse fees, and crap to drive up the price.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Still? You can't feel 50/60Hz from the mains.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

ate being forced to help pay for some lazy brick-tossin lootin' democrat= 's electric bill.

Isn't 911 free to call?

I get phone and internet together, because they're on the same line. Wh= ich is annoying as I don't use the phone, ever. I use a mobile.

-- =

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I thought in the US you actually had tax listed seperately in food shops= ? I find that annoying if buy something like a computer part online, an= d they show the price before tax. WTF is the use in that? Since I have= to pay the tax, they should show the full price. Very few folk don't p= ay the tax, like educational establishments.

-- =

The squaw on the hippopotamus is equal to the sons of the squaws on the = other two hides!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yes, 911 is free, same as with any local call. However they add a charge on it to pay for the equipment it takes to operate the 911 system, so they say. If you never call 911,or if for some reason you call it every week you still pay for the equipment charge. Same as for long distance. If I do not call long distance for several months, there is still a long distance line charge. Long distance does not have to be that long either. I mentioned in another post that 2 brothers I know lived less than 200 feet apart and it was long distance for their calls to each other due to being in different phone companies.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Most food stores list a price and when you go to pay, they total all the items and add tax. Depending on which area and state you are it can be many things. Some only have state tax, and some have state tax and a city tax, each a certain percentage of the total.

I think what the other person was saying is that if you buy a loaf of bread it will be marked $ 3.00 , Not marked $ 2.00 at the top and then a fee for taking up shelf space, fuel cost to get it to you , putting it on the shelf fee. When you actually buy the bread, the store will ring up just $ 3.00, then add the sales tax if ther is any in your state/city.

If things are ordered on line you often do not pay tax on them unless there is a store in your state. If there is a store in your state, you pay state tax when you buy the item and the store has to send your state the tax money. In the state where I live if you order things from out of state and they do not charge you tax, when you fill out your income tax in April you are suppose to fill in what the tax should be and pay it. Very few actually do this.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Oh for goodness sake. Just use whatever fund pays for your pigs.

Why? If you don't phone long distance, why should you pay for the wire you're not using? Let the people who use it pay.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword