Cordless telephones

Solar power may be the most expensive of all. You have to pay for the solar infrastructure, then you still need the same fossil infrastructure for the night load. Fuel is the cheapest part of getting power to the customer

I am just going on what the people who live there say.

Reply to
gfretwell

This is based on a 6-7 year old study.

Reply to
gfretwell

So you have a lot of experience with them?

Reply to
gfretwell

Or you store it.

And I was thinking of your own solar panels, not from the grid.

Here, if I bought my own panels, they'd pay for themselves in 5-10 years, but then again most of that is green treehugger subsidies from the government.

They need to shop around then!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I can't believe the prices would go up that much in less than a decade.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I know they can kill people, that makes them a hazard and they should be removed, along with lions, tigers etc. I don't agree with preserving things that can kill us.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The democrats created a lot of laws and regulations under the guise of helping consumers.

President Trump and his team are currently working on removing these silly regulations.

Reply to
Willy

Here in CT that would have cost you $320.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Inly problem is, a "backUps" does not "provide pure power" as it is a "standby" unit. All it gives you is "filtered" power like a good power bar.

Reply to
clare

I've got a smart-ups. How pure is the power from that?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Sun, 27 Aug 2017 11:03:53 +0100, Uncle Monster w= rote:

tending to be a sine wave. Most modern electronic gear doesn't care abou= t the waveform as long as it's being fed alternating current. =E3=83=BD(= =E3=83=85)=E3=83=8E

I do notice the lighting (mostly LEDs) changes brightness slightly when = it switches to battery. There's also a slight dip in brightness every s= econd, so it's not that even an output. But the main thing is I lose le= ss LED bulbs due to the excessively high voltage I have here, as the sma= rtups drops the voltage with a transformer as necessary. 256V when you'= re meant to get 230V is rather shit.

-- =

You can make a signature quote seem authoritative by attributing it to a= famous person. -- Sun Tzu

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword
[snip

For the Democrats. Republicans don't need it. They have guns.

Reply to
hah

On Sun, 27 Aug 2017 22:12:49 +0100, Uncle Monster w= rote:

pretending to be a sine wave. Most modern electronic gear doesn't care a= bout the waveform as long as it's being fed alternating current. =E3=83=BD= (=E3=83=85)=E3=83=8E

en it switches to battery. There's also a slight dip in brightness ever= y second, so it's not that even an output. But the main thing is I lose= less LED bulbs due to the excessively high voltage I have here, as the = smartups drops the voltage with a transformer as necessary. 256V when y= ou're meant to get 230V is rather shit.

n call the power company and they'll send out a tech who will check the = voltage and take action to correct the problem.

Tried that, they have percentages over and under they have to stick to b= y law, and don't give a f*ck if it's within those.

er company can change so the voltage supplied to homes can be adjusted s= o it falls within specs.

Same here, but the new transformer over the road that serves this street= is set too high. The electrician that came round grumbled that they'd= just changed the guy in charge of tappings and he wasn't fussy enough. = He'd only alter something if it went out of the legal limits, whereas t= he old guy would set it precisely correct.

rned but if I saw 265 volts I'd call my power company.

Mine is currently 245V which is better than it has been recently. I thi= nk it's usually (since the new transformer) 250-265. The old one was 24=

0-241.

my home, it was below 240 volts which means there was just under 120 vo= lts at the standard receptacles. That was three Summers ago when the cen= tral AC was running.

My voltage changes by f*ck all (about a single volt) when I almost fully= load the system. Most of the wiring is overkill here - the previous ow= ner was a gas fitter, not an electrician, so I think he just bought the = thickest wire he could get into the sockets/lightswitches. My shower (w= hich uses 30 amps) is powered by 60 amp wire. The lighting runs off 15A= wire, even though it's got a 5A fuse in the fusebox.

ps I've owned have died.'

What kind of LED bulbs? I had some spotlights (50W equivalent, GU10 fit= ting) which got too hot to touch for more than 2 seconds. They didn't l= ast long at all (about 3 months), probably a bad design. I now use LED = striplights which run at body temperature.

base down operation. One of my desk lamps at home has vent slits at the = top of the bell shaped reflector and the CFL lamps lasted longer in that= desk lamp than in the other desk lamps I have that aren't vented. All m= y desk lamps have LED bulbs in them now and are barely warm to the touch= with the bell shaped reflector pointing down. =E3=83=BD(=E3=83=85)=E3=83= =8E

All my broken LED lamps were in open air spotlights, no shades.

-- =

My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

CFL

I always have 124 and the PoCo says that is within the nominal limits. I am also not sure you can tap these transformers. There is a selector but it is only for the medium voltage inputs.

gfretwell

Why do Americans have such piddly little transformers? We have nice big things that serve 100 houses:

Found this by mistake:

James Wilkinson Sword

Our houses were usually farther apart and it made more sense to do the distribution over long distances with medium voltage. Once they got started that way it was better to only have a few basic transformers. It does limit the number of customers who are dark when one fails. After hurricane Charley, my neighbor was out, I had power so I could string a couple of cords over to her house to get the essential things going for her (water, refrigeration, lights, TV and a little window shaker). I had enough cords and circuits available outside to get her around 7 KVA.

That is still just 1 &2 family or small commercial. Multi family and office buildings will be served by bigger transformers.

Reply to
gfretwell

Never heard of a transformer failing here. Usually power lines.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

This one was blown up in a hurricane, maybe struck by lightning but it went up like a bomb and there was oil everywhere. It only took out 2 houses tho. They had to fix the primary but once they did the rest of the street came up OK. It took a few days to get to that transformer tho. The neighbor ran off of my house.

Reply to
gfretwell

I guess OUR govt ($$$) subsidies for solar are running out. The train is leaving the station. Speaking of trains I wonder how their massive boondoggle of public transportation is doing? Will it suffer the same fate as NYC non-maintenance?

Reply to
Tekkie®

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 07:25:52 +0100, Uncle Monster w= rote:

y when it switches to battery. There's also a slight dip in brightness = every second, so it's not that even an output. But the main thing is I = lose less LED bulbs due to the excessively high voltage I have here, as = the smartups drops the voltage with a transformer as necessary. 256V wh= en you're meant to get 230V is rather shit.

I can call the power company and they'll send out a tech who will check = the voltage and take action to correct the problem. Most of the transfor= mers around here have selectable taps that the power company can change = so the voltage supplied to homes can be adjusted so it falls within spec= s. If I saw 256 volts across the phases at my home I would be a bit conc= erned but if I saw 265 volts I'd call my power company. As I recall, the= last time I measured the voltage across the phases at my home, it was b= elow 240 volts which means there was just under 120 volts at the standar= d receptacles. That was three Summers ago when the central AC was runnin= g. None of the LED bulbs I've bought have failed but a lot of the CFL la= mps I've owned have died. I think it may have to do with whether a lamp = is rated for base up or base down operation. One of my desk lamps at hom= e has vent slits at the top of the bell shaped reflector and =

I have that aren't vented. All my desk lamps have LED bulbs in them now= and are barely warm to the touch with the bell shaped reflector pointin= g down. ?(?)?

big things that serve 100 houses:

ut than where you are. 325 million people in the U.S. dispersed in 3.53 = million square miles vs 5.4 million crammed in Scotland's 30,414 square = miles. The State of Alabama where I live has an area of 52,419 square mi= les and a population of less than 5 million. When I lived on the family = farm, the closest neighbor was a quarter mile away. We had our own pole = mounted transformer for the farm.

Same applies to farms here, but I was talking about a normal street of h= ouses, here's a similar one in your country (picked at random from Googl= e):

Why do you bury them?

ansformers in the basement utility areas. I don't know about skyscrapers= in the very large cities but I'd imagine there are transformers for eve= ry floor or every several floors. I'd have to do some research on the de= sign of their power distribution systems to educate myself. We hear a 60= hz buzz in our heads where you folks have a 50hz buzz between your ears.=

They should have made it something like 15Hz so we can't hear it.

because everything is too different but we do kind of speak the same la= nguage and many of us are your cousins. =E3=83=BD(=E3=83=85)=E3=83=8E

Aren't most of you your own cousins?

-- =

Dijon vu: the same mustard as before.

Reply to