Cordless telephones

The US has a long history of houses wired for land lines. Europe is not as easily wired, Asia even less so. I recall hearing it could take months to get a phone installed.

Put up a cell tower and suddenly thousands of people have phone service! Fast and economical. Eurpose has better and faster broadband than the US too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

How fast is it when the cable is down? That is my problem with Comcast here. The internet goes down at my FILs house about once a day. My wife pays extra for a Comcast Commercial account and their performance is not much better. My Telco based DSL is up pretty much 100% of the time. When it does blink, it is just that a very short blip. Comcast can be down days at a time, particularly after a storm. Century link is underground. Comcast is up on poles.

Reply to
gfretwell

Many states had similar probs. PG&E --before the great "brown-out scam-- had all its maintenance crews cut way back. In the end, like yers, that particular move came around to bite 'em on the ass. 8|

nb

Reply to
notbob

Most power lines run through a right of way owned by the power company but when there is an easement across private land, they will make the poles high enough so the permitted use in the easement will not affect the lines. They have the same issue crossing rivers. The lines behind my house are 120 feet above the water and the river is only about 4-5' deep so it won't ever be an issue.

Reply to
gfretwell

For some reason they pay us money if we have power lines over our property here. The article doesn't say why.

James Wilkinson Sword

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 00:11:02 +0100, Uncle Monster w= rote:

:

m Charter/Spectrum Cable. At home, I have 60mbs from the same provider. = The hospital I use has extremely fast Internet service. I think I measur= ed 100mbs the last time I connected to the hospital WiFi during the day.= Here at the center I've measured 60mbs at night. Me and my brother have= never had our Charter/Spectrum Cable Internet go out that I can recall.= The modems are plugged into backup power supplies along with our comput= ers so everything stays up even when the power blinks.?(?)?

t Internet service at my home. Back in January of 2015, the last time I = was home, the power was out in my neighborhood for 6 hours. I have a num= ber of UPS units rated from 350va to 1kw on my computer and network gear= and I never lost Internet service. I shut everything down except for th= e LED desk lamps which were plugged into 500va UPS units and the lamps k= ept the house safely lit during the power outage. =E3=83=BD(=E3=83=85)=E3= =83=8E

to the administrator's office and told them how to power cycle the netwo= rk equipment to get the system back up. It went down because of a power = blink. There are generators here at the center if the power goes out but= they need a UPS on the computer network equipment. I know you have a lo= t of storms down there in the peninsula but we have them too up here in = the hills. Perhaps the storms here aren't as severe as those down there = between the Atlantic and The Gulf?=E3=83=BD(=E3=83=85)=E3=83=8E

I'd love to have seen you telling them what to do :-)

-- =

In the first few days of the Olympics the Rumanians took gold, silver, b= ronze, copper, lead and anything else they could get their bloody hands = on.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I guess we just had more land available when they started running utilities. A lot of the high voltage distribution runs along abandoned rail right of way land. When they plat a new community the right of way for roads and utilities is set aside then. I suppose that is a foreign concept in the 1000 year old UK but we still have vast swaths of undeveloped land as soon as you get away from the North East and a places near big cities. Where I am in SW Florida it was all palmetto scrub and cattle ranches 30 years ago. Now you could drop a golf ball in Ft Myers and play all the way to Naples, only having to jump a lot of fences and wade across a few small river/creeks. Just watch out for the alligators :-)

Reply to
gfretwell

We have ass kicking storms here all the time. We would call "Sandy" "Tuesday afternoon". The difference is out building code is tougher and FPL knows how to mitigate storms. Power was off after Charley for about 18 hours. I am not sure it went off in Wilma at all. If it did it was less than an hour. I have had a new in the box generator in my garage for a decade. The power has not been off long enough to justify opening the box.

Reply to
gfretwell

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 01:51:54 +0100, Uncle Monster w= rote:

te:

ote:

from Charter/Spectrum Cable. At home, I have 60mbs from the same provide= r. The hospital I use has extremely fast Internet service. I think I mea= sured 100mbs the last time I connected to the hospital WiFi during the d= ay. Here at the center I've measured 60mbs at night. Me and my brother h= ave never had our Charter/Spectrum Cable Internet go out that I can reca= ll. The modems are plugged into backup power supplies along with our com= puters so everything stays up even when the power blinks.?(?)?

lost Internet service at my home. Back in January of 2015, the last time= I was home, the power was out in my neighborhood for 6 hours. I have a = number of UPS units rated from 350va to 1kw on my computer and network g= ear and I never lost Internet service. I shut everything down except for= the LED desk lamps which were plugged into 500va UPS units and the lamp= s kept the house safely lit during the power outage. =E3=83=BD(=E3=83=85= )=E3=83=8E

wn to the administrator's office and told them how to power cycle the ne= twork equipment to get the system back up. It went down because of a pow= er blink. There are generators here at the center if the power goes out = but they need a UPS on the computer network equipment. I know you have a= lot of storms down there in the peninsula but we have them too up here = in the hills. Perhaps the storms here aren't as severe as those down the= re between the Atlantic and The Gulf?=E3=83=BD(=E3=83=85)=E3=83=8E

fix it. I'm actually considering donating one of my UPS units. Me and my= brother have quite a collection of them because people would throw them= away when the batteries went bad. I rescued a lot of them from the tras= h and installed new batteries and wound up with perfectly good UPS units= . An APC Back-UPS 500 is $120.00 online from APC and I've rescued them f= rom the trash then obtained a replacement battery for $16.00. I've quite= a collection of UPS units.=E3=83=BD(=E3=83=85)=E3=83=8E

I buy my UPSs on Ebay for f*ck all then buy new batteries for them.

-- =

Did you hear about the little Indian chief who didn't know the differenc= e between heads and tails? He was always bringing home scalps with holes in them.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I'd hate all those codes. It's your house, you should do what you like with it, it's your property. I thought America was capitalist. You own something, nobody should tell you what you can do with it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I am full up on UPS units. My wife brings the dead ones home from work and it is usually just batteries. They do not even try to fix them there.

Reply to
gfretwell

Ssssh! Don't let it get out. That may dissuade them, then where will be.

I've got a handful of APC Back-Up XS 1500's doing a wonderful job of keeping all kinds of stuff up and running and provided pure power.

Thanks to a client who refuses to replace batteries rather than UPS's I'll never buy another UPS unless I'm unfortunate enough to take a LOT of lightning strikes that blows them up.

You've gotta love people with more money than brains!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

It is all from the insurance companies. If you do not have storm insurance, the codes are not really that important, particularly "flood". I still build compliant things, usually exceeding code but that is because I believe the principles in the code is what keeps my house from blowing away

Reply to
gfretwell

Unless you are Hillary Construction Company, building codes are your friend. I don't think I'd want to purchase or live in a house that wasn't built to code.

Reply to
Jack Legg

On Mon 21 Aug 2017 01:53:47a, Jack Legg told us...

Neither would I, and especially if I thought I might sell it at some point in the future. It would probably neer pass inspection.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

You can get lightning protectors can't you?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

ke with it, it's your property. I thought America was capitalist. You = own something, nobody should tell you what you can do with it.

In the UK nobody checks the regulations (codes) on your house, even insu= rance companies. When you sell your house, the buyer might have a surve= yor check things, but the buyer can choose to say "who cares" or "that'l= l only take a =A3100 to sort".

-- =

40,000 Americans are injured by toilets each year.
Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 07:42:36 +0100, Uncle Monster w= rote:

[...]

nothing but trees. Whenever there is a bad storm, trees come down. Back = in the 1990's me an my brother were installing a lot of NG powered Gener= ac generators in wealthy neighborhoods like in the city of Mountain Broo= k where all the rich Honkies live. The smallest was the 8kw with the B&S= 16hp air cooled and the larger gensets 10-20kw used a Turkish Fiat 4cyl= liquid cooled engine. The last Generac I installed was earlier in this = century and it was equipped with Generac's own manufactured big twin cyl= air cooled engine. I've no experience with their newest gensets but the= most popular model seems to be their 22kw whole house backup model. Acc= ording to their site, they have a new model genset designed to work with= alternative energy or off the grid systems like solar power that kicks = in when the batteries run down. That would be an interesting setup for a= home in the sticks with large solar panels and a big =

Why would you need 22kW to run a house? My house averages 1kW, and peak= is about 10kW.

-- =

Don't adopt a dwarf with learning difficulties. It's not big, and it's n= ot clever.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 08:53:45 +0100, Uncle Monster w= rote:

te:

e) from Charter/Spectrum Cable. At home, I have 60mbs from the same prov= ider. The hospital I use has extremely fast Internet service. I think I = measured 100mbs the last time I connected to the hospital WiFi during th= e day. Here at the center I've measured 60mbs at night. Me and my brothe= r have never had our Charter/Spectrum Cable Internet go out that I can r= ecall. The modems are plugged into backup power supplies along with our = computers so everything stays up even when the power blinks.?(?)?

I lost Internet service at my home. Back in January of 2015, the last t= ime I was home, the power was out in my neighborhood for 6 hours. I have= a number of UPS units rated from 350va to 1kw on my computer and networ= k gear and I never lost Internet service. I shut everything down except = for the LED desk lamps which were plugged into 500va UPS units and the l= amps kept the house safely lit during the power outage. =E3=83=BD(=E3=83= =85)=E3=83=8E

down to the administrator's office and told them how to power cycle the= network equipment to get the system back up. It went down because of a = power blink. There are generators here at the center if the power goes o= ut but they need a UPS on the computer network equipment. I know you hav= e a lot of storms down there in the peninsula but we have them too up he= re in the hills. Perhaps the storms here aren't as severe as those down = there between the Atlantic and The Gulf?=E3=83=BD(=E3=83=85)=E3=83=8E

to fix it. I'm actually considering donating one of my UPS units. Me and= my brother have quite a collection of them because people would throw t= hem away when the batteries went bad. I rescued a lot of them from the t= rash and installed new batteries and wound up with perfectly good UPS un= its. An APC Back-UPS 500 is $120.00 online from APC and I've rescued the= m from the trash then obtained a replacement battery for $16.00. I've qu= ite a collection of UPS units.=E3=83=BD(=E3=83=85)=E3=83=8E

mber of 500va and 650va units. I was astounded at the number of the thin= gs I'd come across that needed only new batteries. People would throw th= em in the trash when they stopped working. It so easy to replace a batte= ry in the APC units and the newer AGM SLA batteries last a lot longer th= an the old gel cell batteries. I bought my last batch of batteries from = a local electronics supplier for around $16.00 each. You have to make su= re you get the .25" F2 terminals to get the best connection. =E3=83=BD(=E3= =83=85)=E3=83=8E

Batteries never seem to get replaced in.... doorbells, watches, central = heating thermostats, iphones (Apple are breaking the law by bricking pho= nes if you try).

-- =

"The knack to flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and= miss."

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You're such a sissy. My house will be made the way I want it. If I sell it, the buyer is free to improve it if they're a gayboy like you.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword