Cordless telephones

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 23:27:35 -0400, Ralph Mowery

When I had a business return I ran TurboTax and it was a pretty simple business, basically just recovering home office and travel expenses. When we had the store we had a professional accountant. These days we have a pretty simple return and I do it myself but by the time I get all the forms done I still spend 4 hours or so on it. (more if I sell some stock). I usually overpay enough that I get money back but it is better than owing with interest and penalties if I guess wrong.

I have income from two states so I have to file for both of them. Turbo Tax saves me a of of time just importing information from the Fed forms.
I'm waiting for the day that accountants and tax lawyers get together and demand a simplified tax code that anyone can file themselves and won't need us. Think it will be coming soon?
On 8/29/2017 6:10 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

We need to figure out a way to convince the congress critters that the accountants and tax lawyers are screwing them, so they will act on tax simplification.
On 8/29/2017 9:45 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

Too many congress critters are lawyers and remain part of the club. It would not be difficult to make taxes fair and simple for both business and individuals but as long as running for office depends on donations, it won't happen.
Most deductions would be eliminated. Tax rate would start at 0% for the first $5000 and work up from there in increasing increments.

Yes, we would be much better off if Congress were populated with real estate con men and reality TV personalities.... Damn lawyers..... ;-)

Your first mistake is utilizing an individual income tax system at all. You are basically advocating a reset of the current system back to the days of it's inception. Mission creep would set in and it wouldn't be long before the nation is in another tax quagmire.
The solution is a different, easier and more automatic form of taxation. One that cannot be easily manipulated for the benefit of one group over another.
--

The problem is Donald Trump. The solution is impeachment or, the otherwise legal
removal, from office, of the greatest threat to peace the world has ever known.

forms.

They are probably lobbying to keep the tax codes so complicated that the average person has to use their services. Just think how much money is involved if they can get even $ 25 to $ 50 out of each tax payer.
On 8/29/2017 7:23 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Their lobbying has succeeded in keeping the IRS from allowing its fill in forms to do math.

Maths. Short for.... mathematics. Not mathematic. You yanks can do more than one kind, right?
--
If one of the questions in a GCSE exam was "express 4.8% as a fraction", most would write "low battery".

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 07:26:52 -0700, Taxed and Spent

It is not just the math. Some of those work sheets are unnecessarily complicated, just to be sure they take into account every esoteric rule. The SS tax form is a good example. They have a whole page of "take line one, subtract it from line 5 add in the julian date of your mother's birthday and divide by the speed of light". The reality is they should just say "do you get food stamps"? If not add 85% of your SS to taxable income.

Both our countries could be vastly simplified. Simply pay a percentage of your income. No other taxes whatsoever anywhere.
--
Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold the vegetables while you chop.

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 17:52:33 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"

Do you have a VAT there? I have heard that if that was the only tax it would be fairer assuming "necessities" were exempt for the tax. The other proposal is the "flat tax" you are talking about but the special interests will have nothing to do with that. They live under the illusion that our progressive tax program is actually making the rich pay more but the fact is there are so many loopholes that a really rich person ends up paying a smaller percentage than they would with a flat tax. I would be OK with a flat tax but they don't ask me.

Yes, although I thought you called it "sales tax".

Yes, and income tax would also be fair. And less paperwork than calculating it on every single thing you buy.

The other problem with so many taxes is the cost of the paperwork.
--
After three years of marriage, Kim was still questioning her husband about his lurid past.
"C'mon, tell me," she asked for the thousandth time, "How many women have you slept with?"

A VAT taxes every step along the way. A sales tax only gets assessed at the final transaction. In fact a business person can buy things at a retail establishment without paying the tax but they better show that they collected that tax somewhere in their paperwork when they resold it. The state will send you a bill if you don't.

It's called VAT here, and gets paid once. It's a very stupid system, as a business can be VAT registered, then claim back VAT on things they buy, then pay it again when the customers buy the product. So if there's a long chain of businesses buying parts from each other, you can pay it, get it back, pay it, get it back, pay it, etc. Must cost the government (and the businesses) a tonne in paperwork.

--
The Official MBA Handbook on business cards: Avoid overly pretentious job titles such as "Lord of the Realm, Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India" or "Director of Corporate Planning."

I recall one instance where instead of saying "multiply line 10 by .75" it said " "multiply line 10 by .25", "subtract line 11 from line 10". Actually, I think it was even more steps when just one step would do it.

Those things don't give the same answer.
Anyway, why would you be doing multiplying? Please tell me you don't do it on paper? Ours are done online. Any calculated figures appear instantaneously by javascript.
--
Women claim that they never pursue a man. Well, by the same token, a mousetrap never pursues a mouse, but the end result is
the same.

I guess that is why you get forms that do the calculating for you.

I don't do my taxes on line, I think they are too complicated for that. I do use the federal and state fill-in PDF forms, but they don't do any calculations.

I'm self employed and have to fill in precisely TWO figures. Income. Expenditure. That's all. Sometimes if they think someone is filling them in oddly, they'll ask to check stuff, then you just hand them a huge pile of receipts and say, "you add it up".
--
At Sunday school the teacher asked little Johnny, "Do you know where little boys and girls go when they do bad things?"
"Sure," little Johnny replied. "They go out in the back of the church yard."

Then why doesn't everyone use schedule C?

Same here, well about a 1/4 of it.
--
I bought a vacuum cleaner six months ago and so far all it's been doing is gathering dust.