Cordless telephones

So not only can't you guys speak English properly, the politicians don't even speak American.
--
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is "Lunch."

+1 And thanks for the snippage.
--
Tekkie

Nobody understands our tax system. We have to fill out our own income taxes, or get someone that thinks they know how to do it. It can be a no cost friend or a person that makes their living doing taxes and they can chargfe whatever they think you will pay. Often based on how much money and how complicated your taxes are. I usually run a computer tax program that costs about $ 70. My taxes are not that complicated either.
We can call a government tax person and ask questions. Often if you call 3 times and get 3 different people you will get 3 different answers,and most likely 2 every time.
Depening on the state you live in, you also have to do the state taxes, often based to some extent of the Federal tax.
The government takes a percentage of what you make and if your taxes are not that much, you get a refund. If nore, you pay, and if way not enough , you pay plus an added ammount for not paying enough.
I forgot what it was, but the average working person pays over half his wages in some form of tax. Fed, state, county, fees for a car license tag, fees to hunt and fish,marriage license, tax on anything you buy, and many other fees.
On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 23:27:35 -0400, Ralph Mowery

When I had a business return I ran TurboTax and it was a pretty simple business, basically just recovering home office and travel expenses. When we had the store we had a professional accountant. These days we have a pretty simple return and I do it myself but by the time I get all the forms done I still spend 4 hours or so on it. (more if I sell some stock). I usually overpay enough that I get money back but it is better than owing with interest and penalties if I guess wrong.

I have income from two states so I have to file for both of them. Turbo Tax saves me a of of time just importing information from the Fed forms.
I'm waiting for the day that accountants and tax lawyers get together and demand a simplified tax code that anyone can file themselves and won't need us. Think it will be coming soon?
On 8/29/2017 6:10 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

We need to figure out a way to convince the congress critters that the accountants and tax lawyers are screwing them, so they will act on tax simplification.
On 8/29/2017 9:45 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

Too many congress critters are lawyers and remain part of the club. It would not be difficult to make taxes fair and simple for both business and individuals but as long as running for office depends on donations, it won't happen.
Most deductions would be eliminated. Tax rate would start at 0% for the first $5000 and work up from there in increasing increments.

Yes, we would be much better off if Congress were populated with real estate con men and reality TV personalities.... Damn lawyers..... ;-)

Your first mistake is utilizing an individual income tax system at all. You are basically advocating a reset of the current system back to the days of it's inception. Mission creep would set in and it wouldn't be long before the nation is in another tax quagmire.
The solution is a different, easier and more automatic form of taxation. One that cannot be easily manipulated for the benefit of one group over another.
--

The problem is Donald Trump. The solution is impeachment or, the otherwise legal
removal, from office, of the greatest threat to peace the world has ever known.

forms.

They are probably lobbying to keep the tax codes so complicated that the average person has to use their services. Just think how much money is involved if they can get even $ 25 to $ 50 out of each tax payer.
On 8/29/2017 7:23 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Their lobbying has succeeded in keeping the IRS from allowing its fill in forms to do math.

Maths. Short for.... mathematics. Not mathematic. You yanks can do more than one kind, right?
--
If one of the questions in a GCSE exam was "express 4.8% as a fraction", most would write "low battery".

[snip]

"Statistic" is not a word, in the same way "mathematic" is not. Also, neither is plural.

Statistic most certainly IS a word. "That statistic is incorrect".
Mathematics is plural, there are several branches of it. We never say mathematic, because we never talk about one particular aspect, without just naming it precisely, like "addition".
So maths is plural just like mathematics.
If you shorten statistics, you get stats. So if you shorten mathematics, you get maths.
We invented the English language, you bastardised it.
--
An airliner was having engine trouble, and the pilot instructed the cabin crew to have the passengers take their seats and get prepared for an emergency landing.
A few minutes later, the pilot asked the flight attendants if everyone was buckled in and ready.

te:

do

,
So you agree with me then.
-- The ant can lift 50 times its own weight, can pull 30 times its own weight, and always falls over on its right side when intoxicated.

rote:

n do

so,

say

out

This is most unusual.
-- The world's largest fruit are giant pumpkins. The world record is 1061lbs (481.3 kg).
[snip]

Statistics is a branch of mathematics, that involves the study of data. What you want is "datum", the singular form.

Have you never heard someone refer to a statistic? Eg. that Ferrari does 0-60 in 3.4 seconds?
--
A hammer is a device designed to break valuable objects next to the nail you are aiming at.

On 8/29/2017 5:59 PM, Sam E wrote:

Close, but no cigar. Statistics is here you hand pick the datum to send the message you want. 4 out of 5 actuaries agree with this.
On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 07:26:52 -0700, Taxed and Spent

It is not just the math. Some of those work sheets are unnecessarily complicated, just to be sure they take into account every esoteric rule. The SS tax form is a good example. They have a whole page of "take line one, subtract it from line 5 add in the julian date of your mother's birthday and divide by the speed of light". The reality is they should just say "do you get food stamps"? If not add 85% of your SS to taxable income.

Both our countries could be vastly simplified. Simply pay a percentage of your income. No other taxes whatsoever anywhere.
--
Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold the vegetables while you chop.