Cordless telephones

Now they probably do not make that much. The gas was at one time much profit as when the gas was about $ 0.20 a gallon or less. That was what ? around 2% more.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Like you hardly sell anything at $ .25 but you can if they are 3 for a dollar.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Have not seen a phone booth in years.

I have not tried it,but they say most cell phones will call 911 even if they are not activated.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

So it is free then?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You'd have to be pretty stupid to fall for that.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

an I presume you don't have 0.1 cent coins?

business's taxes slightly by charging 0.99c for stuff.

I'm 42 and the cheapest I remember was =A31 a gallon. 2 star!

-- =

I had some words with my wife, and she had some paragraphs with me.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It's a wonder anyone files their taxes correctly. This all sounds impossible to calculate.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

They round down as much as up If it comes out to .96 or .97 they only get .95.

If it's .03 , 02, or .01 they get nothing, if it's .04 they get .05

Reply to
clare

It's sold on Ebay in the UK, dunno about over there. It's made in Australia I believe, so probably available worldwide.

I don't much like the flavour of most alcoholic drinks, so I make alcohol with no flavour and add things like orange juice.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

So not only can't you guys speak English properly, the politicians don't even speak American.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 03:40:30 +0100, Uncle Monster w= rote:

htly when it switches to battery. There's also a slight dip in brightne= ss every second, so it's not that even an output. But the main thing is= I lose less LED bulbs due to the excessively high voltage I have here, = as the smartups drops the voltage with a transformer as necessary. 256V= when you're meant to get 230V is rather shit.

h, I can call the power company and they'll send out a tech who will che= ck the voltage and take action to correct the problem. Most of the trans= formers around here have selectable taps that the power company can chan= ge so the voltage supplied to homes can be adjusted so it falls within s= pecs. If I saw 256 volts across the phases at my home I would be a bit c= oncerned but if I saw 265 volts I'd call my power company. As I recall, = the last time I measured the voltage across the phases at my home, it wa= s below 240 volts which means there was just under 120 volts at the stan= dard receptacles. That was three Summers ago when the central AC was run= ning. None of the LED bulbs I've bought have failed but a lot of the CFL= lamps I've owned have died. I think it may have to do with whether a la= mp is rated for base up or base down operation. One of my desk lamps at = home has vent slits at the top of the bell shaped reflector =

mps I have that aren't vented. All my desk lamps have LED bulbs in them = now and are barely warm to the touch with the bell shaped reflector poin= ting down. ?(?)?

ce big things that serve 100 houses:

d out than where you are. 325 million people in the U.S. dispersed in 3.=

53 million square miles vs 5.4 million crammed in Scotland's 30,414 squa= re miles. The State of Alabama where I live has an area of 52,419 square= miles and a population of less than 5 million. When I lived on the fami= ly farm, the closest neighbor was a quarter mile away. We had our own po= le mounted transformer for the farm.

f houses, here's a similar one in your country (picked at random from Go= ogle):

transformers in the basement utility areas. I don't know about skyscrap= ers in the very large cities but I'd imagine there are transformers for = every floor or every several floors. I'd have to do some research on the= design of their power distribution systems to educate myself. We hear a= 60hz buzz in our heads where you folks have a 50hz buzz between your ea= rs.

ems because everything is too different but we do kind of speak the same= language and many of us are your cousins. =E3=83=BD(=E3=83=85)=E3=83=8E=

ants got to America, no one could understand them so they had to bugger = each other. Male, female, sheep, they didn't discriminate. They brought = their traditions with them from the old country.=E3=83=BD(=E3=83=85)=E3=83= =8E

That's the Welsh, see sig below:

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

ean I presume you don't have 0.1 cent coins?

r business's taxes slightly by charging 0.99c for stuff.

How unexpectedly honest of them!

Although I'm not sure what your units are. What is ".96"? Is that $0.9=

6? Surely that doesn't need rounding. Is it perhaps 0.96c? Surely th= at rounds to 1c?

-- =

The skeleton found in the car park has been confirmed to be that of Rich= ard III, but one question remains unanswered: Who did I pay =A320,000 on Ebay for?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

People had dumb perceptions about price. I kew a guy that got in early in the packing tape business. He could sell tape at half the price of the 3M stuff. Sales though, were rather dismal. He raised the price to be 15% less and sales tripled overnight. The half price stuff just could not be good enough, but the higher priced stuff was.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You are not near old enough to have gone throught the big gas shortage in the US. Not sure what was going on in the other parts of the world.

I really remember buying gas for just under $ 0.30 per gallon. Telling my age of 67. It was less than that before I started driving. Some service stations would give you things from time to time just to get you to stop in. Then they had 'price wars' where the different companies would lower the price to get you to their station. Nothing like that in

50 years.

A big part of that was tax, so gas was probably 10 to 15 cents a gallon without tax, so that extra $ .009 made a lot of extra in those years.

Now not so much as the gas is around $ 2.30 in this area now, and going up because of the flood in Texas where many refineries are. That is going to make a gas shortage or maybe as back in the 1970's a created shortage so the price can go up.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I remember $2.65 a liter in 1973/74 on Zambia (conversion from Z Kwacha)

I remember gas wars in the sixties where one station actually paid 2 cents a gallon to people who filled their tanks for a few hours one day. $0.43 per gallon was pretty normal, with under $0.25 per gallon not out of the ordinary

Reply to
clare

I had a colleague who shopped like that. If he wanted quality, he looked at the prices. Mind you, he always bought the most expensive, which would have been the 3M. Your guy should have made it cost more than 3M.

Mind you, I can't work out why 3M is still in business. You have to take out a mortgage just to buy a pack of their postit notes. It's just paper and glue, why do they cost so much?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Bought my first car in 1963. Cheapest I recall is 19.9 at the Merit Station, 2 cents more across the street at the Esso. This was full service, of course. Merit stations also sold re-refined oil too. Back then it was common to burn a quart in less than 1000 miles.

Got married in '66 and our first dishes were from the Chevron station. You got a dish with a fill up of 8 gallons or more.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Modern pay phones let you dial 911 without coins.

Anyway I don't mean a per-call charge, but a monthly charge on your bill regardless of how many calls you made.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Mobiles don't if you don't know the screen unlock sequence. I ain't letting any old person use my mobile. You can't see the numbers to dial 911 until you unlock the screen.

So you're paying for other peoples' 911 calls? That's theft.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

As in a surcharge (tax, a rose by any other name) to fund the toys and goodies the emergency services require to perform their job (and then some, a LOT of then some).

Maybe they don't do that in the UK, but I'll bet if you look hard enough you'll find that all your free shit isn't free and, likely, it's just as shitty as our "free" stuff.

Between the unions (public sector here which represent something on the order of 34%-35% of the employees vs.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused