Cordless telephones

Indeed.

And half the time the firemen are just rescuing someone's stupid cat that got "stuck" up a tree. Rescue your own cat ffs! Even a 6 year old boy can climb a tree, you don't need a tax-paid fireman!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

but they are sitting around doing nothing anyway. If they happen to be on a real call, the cat sits in the tree.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

[snip]

Yabbut, the best way of handling a treed cat was exemplified in a movie. I believe it was either "Police Academy" or "Police Academy 2"

A single, well placed shot was much more cost effective than rolling out an engine and a rescue truck.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I like Steve Martin's approach in Roxanne - just flick a can opener a couple times, and the cat comes running.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

So it's free to use the fire engine is it?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

BTW, what does the phrase "taxed and spent" mean that you use as your name? If it's taxed, I can't spend it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

taxed and "drained of energy or effectiveness"

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

I think it's about time everybody refused to live in civilisation. Set up camp somewhere, don't pay taxes, don't expect government assistance with anything, just live normally. "Gypsy" I believe is the word I'm looking for.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I think it is time that people who live in a society should realize what a society is. It is not a whole subculture sponging off the others.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

If it's available, people will take it. The government just needs to stop handing it out.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

but the spongers are running the hand outs!

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Then take away their right to vote.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The US is actually doing a pretty good job in that regard. The shelf tags give the price per some appropriate unit so you can compare all of the options in some rational fashion.

Reply to
gfretwell

The strangest one here is gasoline. They always add a 0.9 at the end of the price. It might have tricked someone when gas was 15.9 cents a gallon but when it is $2.599 a gallon it is just unnecessary complication.

Reply to
gfretwell

It has more to do with the ease of handling than theft. The problem is that there is may be at least one bad piece in the bag so you lose your saving to the trash can.

Reply to
gfretwell

That can happen if you round up the price for taxing purposes to the customer and then pay tax on the actual revenue you get. It is just fractions of a cent per transaction but if you are a high volume business it might be a car payment at the end of the month.

Reply to
gfretwell

911 and "operator" are a free call at a pay phone.

Kids, there used to be such a thing as a phone you put coins in to make a call. They might even be in a little booth.

Reply to
gfretwell

Shakespeare summed it up "kill all the lawyers"

Reply to
gfretwell

A VAT taxes every step along the way. A sales tax only gets assessed at the final transaction. In fact a business person can buy things at a retail establishment without paying the tax but they better show that they collected that tax somewhere in their paperwork when they resold it. The state will send you a bill if you don't.

Reply to
gfretwell

That would be what we call the schedule C. You add up all of your expenses and deduct it from your income. This is where you can really sharpen your pencil to define what an "expense" is. They even let you deduct the use of your home if it is your office.

Reply to
gfretwell