For Anyone Pretty Sharp With Cordless Phone Systems

Hi,

For anyone pretty sharp with cordless phone systems.

We have a several year old V-Tech cordless phone with the answering machine in the base. Has one handset, only, that sits in the base.

Hooked up to our land line phone.

Wife has medical issues, and is in love with the base unit's construction, sound quality, push button shape and size, etc. Doesn't want to part with it.

We now need a bunch of hansets all over the house. The V-Tech is very old now, and new handsets for it are not available.

So, what happens if I buy, e.g. one of the new Panasonic ones, that comes with 4 handsets, and also has the answering machine in the base.

What happens if I hook both systems up in parallel to the same line ?

An incoming call would trigger both system's handsets. True ?

If not answered, they both would record the call. True ?

If I pick up a handset on the new Panasonic system, the old V-Tech answering machine would (then) do nothing. True ?

Guess I'm asking your opinions if having both is practical, and what happens for the different incoming call scenerios before any purchasing.

Much thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Pico Rico

Basically OK to do.

Yes.

Check the manuals for both old & new. You may be able to set them to anawer after a different number of rings, or set 1 of them to not answer at all.

(There are, of course, new multi-handset systems with no answering machine capability)

If you get it before the # of rings it is set for. Sometimes you have to be quick about it.

Yes, we have such a setup at our house. A pair of old ATT cordless non-answering phones; and a newer Panasonic cordless with answering machine.

and what

Reply to
Retired

+1
+1

+1

Should be able to set one to not answer at all.

Probably are, but I don't recall seeing one. Seems you get a base with recorder plus 4 phones for $50 is the typical skew.

And I think there's a problem he should be aware of. With one base, if the phone rings, you don't catch it in time, it starts to play the "Sorry we can't come to the phone..." message, and you pick up one of the phones, it immediately stops and you can have a conversation. With two bases, if the recorder answers on base #1 and you pick up a phone connected to base #2, the recorder running on base #1 isn't going to know you've picked up the phone and will continue to play the message and then record. I think that's what would happen, anyway. And that would be a problem.

What happens when you pick up a phone while the recording is playing on the other unit that's answering the call, as I described above?

Reply to
trader_4

CY: When my Dad was getting along, we got him a cell phone, and showed him how to use it.

CY: Bummer. And likely great quality.

CY: Yes, should.

CY: Most machines can be set for two or four rings. I'd set your favorite for two.

CY: Sounds right.

CY: By the authority vested in me, I confer the title of "great idea tester, third class" pending your field report. You may be promoted to second or (much later) first class.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi, Just keep one base station answerer turned off always. Then you can use them together. I am doing it with two different model of Panasonic ones.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Bob,

E-bay has a number of V Techs for sale.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

That was probably the 1st place I'd look. That said, I have 2 cordless phones working, basically, side by side. One is a 2 line, DEC6.0 and the other is a 1 line, 5.8MHz, so they don't interfere with each other, as they are on different frequencies. We primarily use the 5.8MHz system as we have 4 handsets. And, now that I think of it, 2 base stations, of which one is being only used as a charger. The DEC6.0 system has both the regular land line, and the freeby landline, the telco gave for bundling. I guess too many people are dropping land lines so they have to "give them away". BTW, only one of the 5.8MHz bases is enabled for answering machine. It all gets complicated because our primary number is yet a 3rd number, Google, which rings the primary landline and the cell. However, because of telco timing and such, sometimes the cell voice mail will pick up, sometimes, the answering machine and even sometimes, the telco voicemail, which I personally hate. Luckily, it only goes to landline voicemail, when the line is busy, so that's good. As my mother used to say, "see, clear as mud".

Reply to
Art Todesco

So buy used. Was the base station capable of having more than one wireless phone to begin with? Or maybe you'll come a cross a used phone witha better base station she'll love even more.

I boutght from Buy.com (which I don't recommend but it was okay thistime,** A Uniden phone with a cordless base phone and one other cordless phone. That was my upsstiais office and muy kitchen. I wanted more so I bought another whole phone syste, entirely wireless with 2 extensions. I was able to learn in advance, maybe by reading the owners manual or a a mnaualfactuer's webpage (meant to encourage people to buy compatible phones) that those two extensions would work with the same bases station. So now I hae a phone also in my bedroom and the workshop in the basement. 4 phones altoghether. I can tell if I've gotten a message from any phone. I can play them from any phone.

**One phone came with dead batteries. I wanted friesh. they said, We dont see thise batteries alone. But they did. But I had to buy my own. The phones themselves work fine now.

I can change each phone's settings from the phone itself and somet of the base station settings from each phone.

I can call in remotely, get my messages, toll save, but i haven't written down the numbes to do that yet. I've done it with other phones, so I'm sure its simple.

I'm suring the wired based, but if it evefy doesn't work, I'll switch to the wireless base.

Probaby not. One owuld asnwer first, the phone would stop riinging and there'd be no more reason for the second machne to anser. Perhaps by a fluke they would both asnwer at the same time. How does that help you.

Probably, if they run on different frequencies or other differences are presen.

For your special need, mabye. Youd ge to keep the V-Tech base adn you'd have extensions in most room.

Reply to
micky

Note that the key word here is expandable.

VTech - DECT 6.0 Expandable Cordless Phone System with Digital Answering System

Model: CS6729-3 SKU: 2744082 Customer Rating: 4.3 (36 customer reviews)

Add to Cart $49.99 Clearance Regular Price: $59.99 You Save: $10.00

Free Shipping on orders $35 and up

Or maybe even if its not the very base she loves, the different base will be very similar. They seem to me to be very similar.

Reply to
micky

The Panasonic 4 handset version is far superior to anything that V-tech puts out.

Been using the Panasonics for many years now and have had zero problems with them so don't be afraid of switching over. Sound quality is excellant and anything you add, say another contact, is automatically available on all handsets. All additions, deletions, etc. etc, automatically goes to the base unit which shares all around. About 4 -5 years now and haven't had to replace anything including batteries to this point.

As far as using both V-tech and Panasonic at the same time, which answering machine picks up depends on how many rings you set up. You should be able to pick up the handset and talk on whatever is handy at the moment.

John

Reply to
John