Panasonic cordless phones - replacing non-working one?

I have a PANASONIC CORDLESS KX-TGA 715E cordless phone which seems to have given up the task of working. I don't know if the problem is in the handset or the base charger.

I like it and would like to replace it with something close. Plenty of handsets on ebay, though not this exact one. I imagine handsets of the same vintage would work with the same base unit, but not sure. I also don't know if the handset and base "go together" in any way.

Suggestions of where to go from here?

Reply to
Eusebius

Have you checked the batteries in the phone? They don't last forever. They appear to be a couple of rechargeable AAA batteries. A multimeter should tell you if they are charged to a nominal 1.2V. Probing the 2 connection pins on the base station should indicate if you are getting a charge voltage of maybe 5+V.

Remember that the digital phone and VOIP is here and being fully rolled out in the next couple of years. While you existing phones will still work if connected to your router or adapter box some routers now come with inbuilt answerphones and DECT base station capability giving you more options than just a new base station and handset combination.

DECT base stations and DECT handsets all should be compatible for the BASIC functions (dialling and answering calls). The incompatibility will/may come for the individual manufacturers/model extra functions. For instance you may not be able to access a answerphone message via a handset or the handset may not be able to access the address book on the base station.

Reply to
alan_m

If you end up having to buy new look at Gigaset as well as Panasonic.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Looks simplest to buy a new Panasonic. The Panasonic KX TG6821 gets good reviews and is pretty similar.

Reply to
Eusebius

See the following for (some) info on what (Panasonic phone) will work with what.

Sam Plusnet

We've had KX-TG8063 for (almost exactly) ten years now and they have been fine.

I don't think there is much to choose between the various models.

Note: Panasonic seem to be doing 25% off[1] over the next day or so (use code EBTGC26 at checkout).

  1. You have to buy it from their web site.
  2. I cannot guarantee if that will work for you, nor that their '25% off' makes it any cheaper than you might find elsewhere.
[1] For the KX-TGC260EB (last digit varies with the number of handsets), I dunno if the offer is good for other models.
Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I've had a 3-set KX-TG7120E for about 20 years. Replaced batteries a couple of times. That aside it's been no trouble at all. Very rarely used nowadays mind.

Reply to
RJH