DRAX Elelectricinsights Imports and Exports

While it is possible to get a breakdown by clicking on the little red down arrow, it doesn't show which way the electrons are flowing, or is this implicitly an import ?.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Without a link, I have no idea what you're talking about, but while on the subject of Drax...

Drax burns thirteen tonnes per minute of imported wood chip (7 million tonnes imported, per year, /365/24/60). That's a lot of wood

Some years ago someone posted a detailed calculation on how many trees would have to be planted per unit time (not sure what the units of time were: minutes? days? years?) to keep up with that sort of consumption and reach some sort of equilibrium, where the rate of growth equaled the rate of felling. And remember Drax only produces about 5% of the UK electricity consumption, and that's before 'net zero'!

Does anyone remember the calculation and can point me to it, or recreate it?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

given that it stays positive if you turn off all sources except connectors, I'd say today we're importing from them all, with your down arrow you can see them individually

, but while on

They burn 27 million trees/year, so presumably have to plant more than that to allow for thinning out, deaths and waste?

to keep up with that sort of

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks for that. Never heard of electricalinsights, so didn't recognise it in the title.

Thanks also for that. Jeeze it's worse than I realised - much worse. And it's going to get even worser! "The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy plans to burn 120 million trees a year by 2050"!! It'll give new meaning to 'can't see the wood for the trees'. Can't see *anything* for the trees, more like!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

neg to pos

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

You don't thin out forests grown for wood chips, that's only done with forects grown for timber, to get nice straight trees.

Depends on what you call waste. There isnt much of that at all with forests grown for wood chips.

Utterly silly approach to electricity generation when the trees are on the other side of the world to the power station given the vast amounts of diesel used to harvest the wood chips and the fuel oil to transport it halfway across the world and the immense environmental damage where the trees are grown.

Reply to
Rod Speed

No considering that I need text, not little arrows. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff