There went the blank date/time. It turns out that the product wasn't reall y well designed so as to not harass you with in-your-face time. The time w as simply missing because I had never set it. Now that I set it, it would be in my face, in GIANT FONT, forever.
The manual doesn't say how to reset the phone to factory default settings. I tried unplugging the base station, but that doesn't get rid of the time. It's an odd arrangement because the base station hosts a handset, but it also communicates with a satellite docking thing in the next room, which ho sts another handset. I had set the date/time on one phone, and the other p hone *also* displays the time in LARGE FONT. I thought that the date/time must be stored on the main base station, since both phones know what time i t is. Yet unplugging the main base station doesn't remove the time.
Thanks to anyone who can advise on how to go about disabling this incessant , loud proclamation of current time.
On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 13:48:03 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Duct Tape!
On 2017-01-14 4:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Prime example of a major problem, get over it, not a huge deal.
--
Froz....

Tap the screen with a small hammer. Usually does not take more than three or four blows.
You're welcome.
On 01/14/2017 02:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Exercise your Second Amendment rights and put a .357 slug through it. Phones are just a pain in the ass anyway.
This worked: I pulled the batteries and unplugged the docking station.
The answer came from http://forums.redflagdeals.com/how-erase-date-time-panasonic-cordless-phone-kx-tg4112c-2073822/#p27355882
The fallback plan would have been to diminish the contrast so that the sceen was hard to see, or to replace the phone.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com posted for all of us...

must be stored on the main base station, since both phones know what time it is. Yet unplugging the main base station doesn't remove the time.

It should have picked up the time from incoming calls. You had it bleeped up. Relax and buy a new one, more callers can be blocked.
--
Tekkie