Cordless Phone Question

This might be a bit off topic, but not sure where else to bring it. I am looking at a multiple cordless phone(base unit with 2 extra hand sets) to hook up to my VOIP phone line to have it throughout the apartment. There are no phone wires through the apartment so I need cordless through one land line. However, if I read one of the manuals correctly I cannot use two phones at the same time, such as when my wife and I want to be on the phone together in different rooms talking to somebody. Is this true? Do you know of any multi handset phones that will allow two handsets to be used at one time? Thanks.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

these 3 from Vtech claim to allow you to "conference an outside call".

see here

Reed

Check Consumer Reports out at the library.

In any case I would definitely only buy a digital spread spectrum phone that sends your voice over several frequencies so no one can intercept the conversation on a scanner. Consumer Reports rates other phones besides spread spectrum phones. I would not buy them even if rated higher. You have to sacrifice a bit of audio quality to buy a dss phone but for security it is worth it especially if you have neighbors close by.

Reply to
Art

Hi, What is such a secret in your phone traffic? You don't use internet? Latest in cordless phone is DECT 6.0. FHSS can be intercepted. Cell phone traqffic also can be intercepted.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Many of the Panasonic 5.8 Ghz and Dect 6 phones have up to 4 way conferenceing ability.

Reply to
Abe

yes, because everything we talk about is so Top secret....

S. Barker

Do you ever buy stuff by credit card over the phone? Do you ever have to call your bank and give them you password over the phone? I do. As for the internet, that is why they have secure sites for buying stuff. And your digital cell phone cannot be intercepted. Your analog cell phone could be but if anyone still owns one they probably won't be able to use it next year when the last analog system is turned off.

Reply to
Art

I have one of the Panasonic 5.8 sets - can and have conferenced all 4 phones at once.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Hi, I very SELDOM use credit card. I use CASH! I go to my bank in person. It's tone's throw from my house. You do sort of stupid things on your telephone. Secure means always there is a hole, LOL! Who made it secure? Cell phone interception is possible, just equipment for that is pretty expensive. I spent all my life in communications. Lot of years on military one; Stratcomm, IWCS, ICS, WWMCCOMM. I guess I know bit about communications. Analog, Digital, Wired, Wireless(over the air, deep sea, underground), Secured, Encrypted, Voice, Data, Telemetry, etc. You name it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Do you lock your door when you leave the house or do you leave the door open? If the former, buy a DSS phone. If the latter go with a non-secure phone.

Reply to
Art

...and you write in the tempo of Morse! 8^)

Reply to
pheeh.zero

My Uniden system (5.8 GHz, supports 10 handsets) allows 4-way conferencing.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Cheap mail or internet orders do not accept cash. I am not going to drive or fly 1,000 miles to pay cash for something that can be ordered over the phone and save me $20. I also do not want neighbors knowing about the woman who comes to us about her sexual abuse and needs some immediate encouragement, or any other forms of counseling. I do not want neighbors knowing how much I paid for that run down house I just bought to rehab and flip. I also do not want my neighbors knowing I am planning on visiting my son for a week. Etc. There are lots of things I don't want others to know about that is commonly discussed over the phone.

Maybe you don't care if your neighbor intercepts the call from your daughter when she called you about coming home and finding her husband in bed with your grandchild. That's your business if you don't care.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

You can travel for $20??????

Reply to
Lou

Why not just use a corded phone? Then the government will be the only one listening.

Reply to
gfretwell

You certainly go off the deep-end! I have a facility with 72 cordless phones...one per person and their own number (outside line). These are varied technologies (900Mh,2.8Mh,

5.8Mh). It is my job to keep them working. In 9 years I have never heard or heard of any conversation intercepted by another user.
Reply to
pheeh.zero

If you've never heard of anyone intercepting any cordless phone conversation, you shouldn't be managing any facilities phone or security systems. With analog cordless phones, it was common for this to occur. They even talked about how to change the channels in the manual if your neighbor happened to have one on the same frequency. Not a significant problem in single family homes in rural locations. But if you lived in a city, apartment building, condo, etc. it wasn't unusual at all. I picked up a neighbors call on mine one day when I went to make a call. The neighbor was talking loud and clear as a bell.

The advice to get a spread spectrum cordless is sound. It provides a very reasonable measure of security. Now, someone has already said that can be intercepted too. And that's true, but it can't be done casually by having a similar phone. It would require some very specialized, expensive and illegal eqpt.

Reply to
trader4

cordless4u had written this in response to

: pls check cordless Voip solutions on

------------------------------------- Long Range Cordless Phones - Worldwide Cordless 4U

cordless4u