Connecting Sony cordless handset of phone to base

I have taken a Sony SPP-A941 900 MHz phone our of a retirement to replace m y DECT 6.0 devices which we cant get to work without the crackling overpowe ring all conversation on all the handsets.

The SPP-A941 base unit has completely forgotten the handset in the numerou s years it has been out of use.

Ringing in causes the base station to ring and the handset to beep 4 times. So there is some sort of rudimentary communication going on

Pressing any other button on the hand set causes the handset to beep 4 time s with no dial tone despite numerous resets. Sony tech support was complete ly clueless (in anything beyond reading the manual to me and trying a few b asic stops like unplugging and plugging the various parts in again).

There IS a button on the handset which is supposed to switch channels if re ception is no good. Not apparently for when you get no dial tone whatsoever .

Is there any way of getting the base unit to link up with the handset pleas e?

Reply to
Amanda Ripanykhazova

Hi, No owner's manual? That 4 beeps could be some kinda error code. Wonder if manual can be downloaded from the 'net.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, That 4 beeps means base and handset lost link synchronization. Random random security code(this is from my memory). One thing you can try is make sure battery in the HS is good and fully charged and unplug the power to the base station. Wait for ~5 mins. then turn on the the HS(push talk button), plug the power cord back to the base station. If no sucess, maybe either one's radio tx/rx circuit is possibly bad.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

my DECT 6.0 devices which we cant get to work without the crackling overpo wering all conversation on all the handsets.

ous years it has been out of use.

s. So there is some sort of rudimentary communication going on

mes with no dial tone despite numerous resets. Sony tech support was comple tely clueless (in anything beyond reading the manual to me and trying a few basic stops like unplugging and plugging the various parts in again).

reception is no good. Not apparently for when you get no dial tone whatsoev er.

My guess would be that the handset isn't holding enough charge to do anythi ng.

Reply to
jamesgang

User Manual is at

Retired

I may not have emphasised that this unit was unused for a few YEARS.

I wouldnt have expected it to retain sync for so long but I thought that it would regain sync if you put the handset on the base. I didn't realise the process would need repeating in the way you say until it succeeds.

(Manual is useless on all this)

Thanks guys

Reply to
Amanda Ripanykhazova

Is the battery in the handset any good?

Can you "page" the handset from the base?

I found a question online from someone whose same=model phone was doing the same thing after only two years of use, but there didn't seem to be any useful answer; this was ten years ago.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

The battery is brand new. I cant page and everything results in 4 beeps

Reply to
Amanda Ripanykhazova

Well this is quite annoying, now I am having the same problem with another phone: An AT&T 5923 cordless-corded 2 line one

First huge amounts of static started to overpower the line, Then the handse t started saying SYSTEM BUSY whenever I tried to use it, then when I tried re-registering the 15 digit number on this 8 phone expandable system (with which I am using a total of one phone), I started to get error message T23 PD and the handset display returns to SEARCHING.

If something has died on this phone, would it necessarily be the cordless b it which cant connect or the circuits in the base? When I search ebay for handsets, I see lots of people asking extremely fancy prices for it and eve n fancier prices for spare handsets! (When they are ebay "auctions" as opp osed to Buy It Now dreamers, these phones do seem to fetch relatively high prices)

I also seem to remember having this problem with a brand new V-Tech phone a few years ago. Is this not linking to base thing in fact a very common pro blem?

Reply to
Amanda Ripanykhazova

r phone: An AT&T 5923 cordless-corded 2 line one

set started saying SYSTEM BUSY whenever I tried to use it, then when I trie d re-registering the 15 digit number on this 8 phone expandable system (wit h which I am using a total of one phone), I started to get error message T2

3 PD and the handset display returns to SEARCHING.

bit which cant connect or the circuits in the base? When I search ebay fo r handsets, I see lots of people asking extremely fancy prices for it and e ven fancier prices for spare handsets! (When they are ebay "auctions" as o pposed to Buy It Now dreamers, these phones do seem to fetch relatively hig h prices)

a few years ago. Is this not linking to base thing in fact a very common p roblem?

IDK what's going on with yours, but I can share my experience. I have a Panasonic cordless system. It's probably 8 years old. About a year ago, the batteries started to die, with shorter and shorter life. So, I bought some new batteries on Ebay for maybe $6. That got things working again just fine. But then about 6 months later, the display went on one handset. It still works as a phone, but the display is kaput. Then after a year, the new cheap batteries appear to be dying. A curious aspect is that the handsets now behave strangely even if they show a full battery charge. I get symptoms like you're describing, ie it shows "line busy" when I try to call, or it shows "no connection to base". Most times it works with a full charge, coming right off the base. Another factor is that it now goes from showing a full or substantial charge to not working sometimes when I'm on a call, without getting the warning beeps that I used to get.

My conclusion is that it's most likely related to the batteries. I'm going to order some new ones, because it's worth taking another shot at it. If that doesn't work, the solution is obvious. You can buy a whole new phone set for $40. I see them in Costco all the time.

Reply to
trader_4

It sounds like one of the cells in the battery is dying, which generally ca uses the battery to go from showing a full charge straight to being almost empty when the unit starts to draw on that cell. I had that problem with a Dell computer throughout the time I owned it.

But I dont know what the :no connection to base" or "Line busy" has to do w ith the cells, unless it just means that the phone wont perform pretty much at all when under the load of actually working!

In my case, even with a battery which has been charging for 24 hours, it wo nt register/link to its base.

Unless there is such a thing as a surface charge which makes the charge ind icator light up but which wont let the phone work UNDER LOAD at all?

Reply to
Amanda Ripanykhazova

There is also a largely untested theory that loss of power in a rechargeabl e battery is caused by a build up of crystals inside it. And that a short burst of reverse polarity high voltage (120 or 240v) for a second or so int o the terminals can bust up the crystals somehow.

Reply to
Amanda Ripanykhazova