Connecting PVC to EMT

I have a 1/2" PVC that is from the outside (for outside receptacle and pool light) that comes up to the inside of the exterior wall and I need to connect that to 1/2" EMT to go to the switch. What is the proper connector to connect 1/2" EMT to 1/2" PVC? Do I just use the standard EMT connector with set screws? Or is there a special connector for this?

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

I'd use an EMT box connector on the end of the EMT and a female adapter on the PVC.

EMT connector threads are so forgiving, they'll screw right into pipe thread.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

This is what I have done. Put an EMT compression coupler on the EMT. Remove the inner compression ring and outer nut from the other end of the coupler. Solvent weld (glue) a female threaded end on the PVC and connect them together.

Or you could put a 1/2 male threaded end on the PVC and use a female threaded pipe coupler between the compression coupler and PVC fitting.

Or instead of a pipe coupler you could use a junction box or 'pull' box.

In all cases you would need to solvent weld an end onto the PVC.

There may be a better way or special fittings I don't know? Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Ricks

Use a metal handy box with a ground screw so you can bond the EMT.

Reply to
gfretwell

Good point, about the handy box ....... but depending on how long the EMT run is to the another bonding point, it may not be necessary?

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

That will ultimately be up to your AHJ but most inspectors want metal wiring methods bonded at both ends.

Reply to
gfretwell

*Put a female adaptor on the PVC and screw an EMT connector into that.
Reply to
John Grabowski

What would they cite if they tag it?

Reply to
bud--

250.96
Reply to
gfretwell

Seems like a stretch. Most EMT is only connected to a ground/bond 'source' at one end anyway.

Reply to
bud--

Apparently that is a code violation per the inspector. I was supposed to make the transition via a pullbox.

This wasnt a real inspection, I had added a circuit in my shop and my friend who is a local inspector was over visiting and said that waht I did was illegal. Im not sure if this was local code or national that I was in violation of.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

a female adaptor on the PVC and screw an EMT connector into that is not a violation of the code.

It is a pretty standard way to do it.

Reply to
metspitzer

Apparently that is a code violation per the inspector. I was supposed to make the transition via a pullbox.

This wasnt a real inspection, I had added a circuit in my shop and my friend who is a local inspector was over visiting and said that waht I did was illegal. Im not sure if this was local code or national that I was in violation of.

*As long as the EMT is grounded at the other end it should be acceptable. A grounding conductor would need to be pulled for the PVC end.
Reply to
John Grabowski