Removing Rust From Automotive Tools

I've come across a large set of automotive tools which have sat in the rain since 2011. They are nice Craftsman open/closed end large size wrenches, large and small sockets deepset 3/8" and 1/2". wratchets, extensions, torque wrenches, Vise Grips, etc The tools were taken care of until they were set out in the rain. They are quality Craftsman tools.

I'd like to remove the rust from the tools, and would like to know if there's anything other than CLR to do this. I don't mind elbowgrease, but would like some soaking type liquid to start the job. I've already cleaned up a wratchet, but some of the other tools have not only rust, but under the rust there is corrosion/pitting, which in some cases, prevents some of the wratchets from working. I know I can't fix that. Getting into the driver side of the sockets will be difficult, as will cleaning out some of the 12 point sockets.

Any advice?

TIA

Reply to
Boris

Methods to try: wire wheel wire brush sandpaper steel wool Sand blaster

Liquids you can try soaking in are: white vinegar Lime or lemon Oxalic acid citric acid Baking soda toothpaste Coke

I've been successful with the wire wheel for most.

Reply to
Meanie

I would start with mineral spirits and motor oil, about half and half after you wire brush off any loose flakes. They will get a bronze patina.

Reply to
gfretwell

50/50 acetone and ATF for the ratchets . Let 'em soak in it for a few days . Look up "electrotytic derusting" (or similar wording) for the sockets and wrenches .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Take them back to a Craftsman dealer and have them replaced. They are guaranteed to perform to your satisfaction and being rusty is not to your satisfaction. They will be replaced for free.

many moons ago I did that with a wrench I had to heat and bend about 30 degrees to do a specific job. The clerk was not happy, but after me asking for him to get the manager he finally gave me a new wrench.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Good luck with that. Sears is selling the Craftsman line to Black & Decker. B&D has been in a race to the bottom with their own products. I doubt the new kid on the block will fare any better.

Reply to
rbowman

Phosphoric acid. You can find it it in the masonry section of Home Depot or Lowes since it is used to etch concrete. It will dissolve rust but not attack sound metal. It also leaves a phosphate residue that inhibits rusting, unlike hydrochloric acid which leaves a super clean surface that will rust before your eyes.

Phosphoric is also safer to handle. The legends of Coca Cola removing rust go back to the phosphoric acid used in Classic Coke. Don't get your knickers in a knot. It's a very low concentration and is used to give the soda a tarter and sharper flavor. Coke won't dissolve your teeth as you drink it.

Reply to
rbowman

I know. What little quality Craftsman had will either be lessened by B&D or Craftsman will be shit canned to eliminate competition for whatever else B&D will swallow up.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I think Sears is also selling Kenmore. What's left?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Kenmore was Whirlpool anyway.

Reply to
gfretwell

Enviro-rust - hands down. If you can't get your hands on that, a bucket of blackstrap molasses is a good start.

Reply to
clare

The warranty sais "repair or replace at their option" = replace with rebuilt falls into that policy.

Reply to
clare

Some kenmore was Whirlpool, some was Inglis in earlier years, and some was Samsung or LG recently.

Reply to
clare

I bought my craftsman master tool set in 1969, (and yes, that is OVER

40 years ago) and the warranty stated "repair or replace" and I've had my ratchets repaired 2 or 3 times. When the repair kit for the original was no longer available they replaced the ratchet with a rebuilt ratchet. It is still working today, some 26 years later.
Reply to
clare

Massive debt?

Reply to
rbowman

the owner of both sears and k mart fast eddie bought sears for its assets including that sears owned most of their stores incuding allstate insurance, lands end, coldwell banker real estate etc.

well the collapse of real estate stopped eddie from selling the stores and renting them back

he looted the stores for all their money, invested very little, and recently announced EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE

Reply to
bob haller

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 14:49:14 -0800, Oren wrote in

Just noticed that Danny D hasn't been around in a while. Anyone know what happened to him?

Reply to
CRNG

Maybe his skydeck collapsed and he's laying unconscious in a patch of poison ivy.

Reply to
What

I heard he was sent to prison for a backflow prevention device scheme.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Gordon Shumway wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm not aware that any guarantee covers abuse.

Reply to
Boris