2 Dead Cordless Drill Batteries -- Weird

Anyone have any insight here? I have two Makita cordless drill batteries that I use infrequently. Stuck them in the charger, which lit up red, then after a while green -- like usual -- but neither battery would operate either my drill or my flashlight (i.e. appears they have no power). But the charger recognizes them, lights up red and then green, so this is not the usual situation where they don't have enough charge to trigger the charger. Any thoughts? Weird that it's both. Maybe the charger is busted somehow, even though it appears to be operating as usual?

Reply to
jonathanbines

If the batteries are no good anymore, ww used to have someone h ere how replaced he cells in tool batteries. Idon't remember where he bought them or what, but maybe you can find them in the google archives, or maybe someone here remembers.

Reply to
micky

How old are the batteries? If more than a few years either toss or rebuild them. Yes, both will dies around the same time period especially if sitting for long periods of time.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yeah, but what's weird is that everyone else whose batteries die, they say that the charger doesn't recognize them. It flashes an error, or whatever. My charger seems perfectly happy to receive these batteries, which I assume means they've got some power left in them. It even thinks its charged them -- the light changes from red to green. So that's what makes me wonder if it's maybe not the batteries after all. I guess I need a multimeter to check the power?

Reply to
jonathanbines

What type of battery ? The old Ni-Cad didn't like sitting un-charged for any length of time. Lithium are much better. That said - I'm just starting to think about replacing my old cheapo B&D weed snipper < circa 2008 ish > - replacement Ni-Cad batteries cost WAY too much. ... when the day comes that I can't get my yard trimmed with the 2 old batteries - I'll probably buy a Ryobi because I've already got 2 batteries with my new-ish drill. John T.

Reply to
hubops

They're 12 volt ni-cd. There are instructions online for "jump starting" these batteries from a working battery (or maybe a stripped ac adapter) but again, those batteries don't seem to work in the charger. Mine do -- they just...I don't know. Either the charger thinks its charging them but isn't, or something else is going on. Again, I suppose if I had a multimeter I could check if they have power, although if they had power they'd operate the tools, right?

Reply to
jonathanbines

Don't over think it ... the batteries are history. 12 volt ni-cads must be ~ 15 years old ? .. the date might be on them. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I hate throwing out things that can be used - butunless there is a lithium ion conversion for those tools retire them and replace with a new set of lithium powered tools. Nicads are just not worth rebuilding any more - IMNSHO

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I agree, and have replaced most of my old Ni-cad tools. The newer Lithium batteries hold their charge for MUCH longer periods.

If you insist on giving the old tools another chance, see if a company like "Batteries Plus" will rebuild the old Ni-cad batteries or has store-brand replacements.

If you do, remember that you have a tool whose battery has a limited life. You could easily spend more on batteries than the cost of new tools.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

I agree. Most of the time you can get new tools, batteries and charger for what just a battery or two cost. I have a good almost unused drill with 2 dead batteries and charger that I replaced a few years back with some new Dewalt tools that usually go on sale during some holidays for less than the replacement batteries .

I don't like throwing things out either, but when just the replacement part costs almost as a new item, then it goes.

Many years ago I went to Sears to get a repacement wratchet for my socket set by another company. They had a sale for about $ 2 more I could get the complete set of 3/8 inch sockets and wratchet. I did not throw out the old sockets, but put them in the back of the tool storage.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery
[snip...]

I've been bringing the old sockets to my local car repair gals. They're always losing or breaking some and love the replacements.

Of course the ones I bring are never the ones they need...

Reply to
danny burstein

Another option for 12 volt tools is to add a "cord" and run them off

12 volt lead acid batteries
Reply to
Clare Snyder

When I was upgrading my cordless tools, I dropped the old stuff off at Goodwill with the idea that someone who had good batteries would find them and they'd go to a good home. That's probably unlikely, but who knows.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I think you will find the charger is seeing a high resistance in the batteries and it thinks they are charged.

With those batteries, self discharge is an issue. You should drag them out at least every three months and top them up if they have long periods of disuse.

There may be a way to get charge into them but you will probably find it isn't worthwhile.

Reply to
Xeno

The flashlight AND drill both don't work so that pretty much rules out the switch or tool contact - and both batteries at once pretty much rules out the battery contacts

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Indeed! A bit of deductive reasoning works every time! ;-)

Reply to
Xeno

Well, glad we narrowed it down to whatever we narrowed it down to! Anyway, I took the majority advice and just gave it all away on craigslist and got a new drill. Never really used that flashlight anyway.

Reply to
jonathanbines