cordless drill battery charging

I just got a cordless drill (12v Hitachi) for the first time. Can the battery be left in the charger continuously (like a cordless phone) so that it's fully charged at all times or would this damage the battery or charger? The only thing I know about the battery/charger is that it's a Ni-Cad battery and the charger has an indicator light that turns off once the battery is charged.

Thanks.

Charles Lerner

Reply to
calerner

Better chargers charge and then go into a maintenance or trickle mode. Yours may simply shut off and stay off until you remove and replace the battery. I would check the Hitachi site and review information that may be available. Or contact Hitachi.

Reply to
Leon

Don't know about the Hitachi charger, but it is best to treat them all as suspect. They may say they will turn off or only allow a trickle, but you can never tell. First step is to find out what the charger information says. Second step is to find out the time for a full charge, then never charge for longer, and disconnect after the charge. I have a friend who charges only when he needs the drill. Personally, I charge from time to time based on what a full charge time is and the volt reading; i.e. if a full charge is 5 hours, then I charge for maybe 3 hours if the voltage is below 12.5 volts, a full charge (allowing time for the battery to settle down) is about 13.1 to 13.2 volts. For a

12 volt pack you will have 10 cells. Whatever you do, do not let the pack get below 10 volts (1 volt per cell) and never always be wary of overcharging.
Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I had a friend who lost his entire wood shop due to one of these "battery chargers" that caught fire. Happen again? Probably not but I do not leave my chargers turned on. You might consider putting the charger on a line that gets shut off every nite. I always shut off my compressor line at the fuse box along with the bench outlets, every nite. Throw the breakers and lock the door.

Reply to
Rumpty

you shouldn't have to, but if your manual doesn't say "don't", then it should be ok..

I have 3 19v batteries and I usually have one on the charger for an hour or so during the day, then pull it out... not taking any risk that I don't need to with a $55 battery..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Reply to
Wilson Lamb

I leave my 12v Hitachi batteries in and yes, the charger does shut off. The red inicator light goes out after an hour or so. I have several UC12SD chargers both in the shop and in the telco closet at work and have never had a problem. They make some great cordless tools for the price. My 12v impact driver has been put through torture for the last year and it runs like new even if it looks kind of rough. I'd really like another 12v flashlight but can't seem to find one without buying another drill.

Jim

Reply to
Jeepnstein

Some cordless tools come with "smart" chargers and some (usually the cheapies) don't. You may have to RTFM*

(* Read The Fine Manual)

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

I have a hitachi 12v and I leave mine plugged in 24/7. It shuts off after an hour or so. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

battery

Does the charger turn back on by itself after some time to "top off" the battery if you don't use the battery for a while?

CL

Reply to
calerner

Yep. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

Thanks for all the replies. As someone suggested I did call Hitachi and they told me the battery can be in the charger continuously; they said it stops charging based on temperature (I suppose of the battery) and then will monitor the voltage in the battery and will begin to charge again when/if the voltage drops. (just as SH observed)

Charles

Reply to
calerner