Charging a portable battery pack

I have a portable battery pack that uses a 15V DC pod to charge it. That pod is currently about 300 miles from where the battery pack is.

Can I use my car battery charger by hooking it up to the clamps on the battery pack?

If so, I have these specs and these choices. Which should I use?

Battery Pack: 12V/15A

Charger Choices:

6 Amp, Fast Charge, Automotive/Light Truck 4 Amp, Medium Charge, Automotive 2 Amp, Trickle Charge, Lawn Tractor/Motorcycle/ATV

Thanks!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Typically use 1/10 capacity for 10 hours. 1.5-2 amp charge. I don't know if the charger just keeps putting out or shuts own.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

2 or 4 amp. I'm assuming by 15a you mean 15AH on the battery pack - 4 amps for 4 or 5 hours will give full charge - 2 amp will take about 10 hours for full charge.

Less if the battery pack is not fully discharged.

Reply to
clare

A 10 minute charge will NOT give a full charge. It would take a 90 amp charge rate to fully charge a dead 15Ah battery pack in 10 minutes. So half charges would still take 45 amps.

Reply to
clare

GENERALLY they put out 2 amps maximum, and taper down as the voltage comes up.. Some taper down enough to avoid boiling the battery (usually referred to as float charge) while many simple "trickle chargers" have no regulation at all.

Reply to
clare

..

I don't know what I mean.

I quote directly from the label on the MVP Model I-6550:

12V/15A

The manual for the charger I have states that it adjusts the charge as the battery gets closer to fully charged and "switches to the maintain mode automatically after the battery is charged."

Once the Charged light comes on, I'll know it's ready. Thanks!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Most likely the internal gel cell battery is rated at

12 volts, and will "ideally" provide 15 amps for one hour, or some other way to get there. 150 amps, for 1/10 hour. Ideally, never fully discharge the battery.

.

..

I don't know what I mean.

I quote directly from the label on the MVP Model I-6550:

12V/15A

Once the Charged light comes on, I'll know it's ready. Thanks!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

keep feeling the battery as time passes, a hot battery pack means its fully charged, gell cells and nearly all batteries detoriate and carry less capacty as they age

Reply to
bob haller

So here's the update:

The charger I used is this one:

The lights by the green triangle read as follows, from top to bottom:

Charged

75% 50% 25% Charging Connected

It was used less than a month ago on car battery and it worked fine.

I set it to 4 amps and hooked it up to the battery pack's clamps and plugged it in to an AC outlet. The Charging and Connected lights came on as expected.

I checked it a few hours later, expecting to see at least one of the percent lights on. Nothing. I checked it again after it had been charging for 6 hours...still no percentage lights. Just the Charging and Connected lights.

I unhooked it from the battery pack, turned the battery pack on and the Low LED came on, just like before.

Should I assume that the battery pack is shot or is it possible that it won't charge via the clamps and that the 15V charger must be used?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I've had jump pack internal batteries go dead. Several of them. What's the voltage, at the pack's battery clamps? With no charger?

.

Should I assume that the battery pack is shot or is it possible that it won't charge via the clamps and that the 15V charger must be used?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

yep the internal battery is likely bad. sitting discharged a long time sulphates the plates and ruins the battery...

Reply to
bob haller

Thanks for the reminder. I did charge the jump pack. One news video I saw, said I'm in the 5 to 20% chance area, for power cuts. Still, nice to have some electric stored for use.

.

Can I use my car battery charger by hooking it up to the clamps on the battery pack?

If so, I have these specs and these choices. Which should I use?

Battery Pack: 12V/15A

Charger Choices:

6 Amp, Fast Charge, Automotive/Light Truck 4 Amp, Medium Charge, Automotive 2 Amp, Trickle Charge, Lawn Tractor/Motorcycle/ATV

Thanks!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A "long time" is a relative value.

My grandfather lived for a long time. I was on hold with tech support for a long time. Those two "long times" are very far apart in terms of real numbers.

What is considered a "long time" in regards to a battery pack sitting discharged?

Reply to
DerbyDad03