car battery, limited use, newish not taking a charge

Hi, I have a car that is not used much. I bought a new battery last easter and moved the car when I took the battery home. About a month later I went to move the car again and the battery was dead, no ignition light. I cant r emember how I charged it. The two subsequent times I have tried to move it the battery has had to be charged and I have used a fancy charger borrowed from a friend because my bog standard charger cant put charge into it at al l. Is the battery likely to be knackered? Is it my fault for leaving it for a month to loose the charge? ta
On 31/08/2016 21:16, misterroy wrote:

Modern car batts don't respond well if deep discharged - so there is a fair chance it well on the way to knackered.
--
Cheers,

John.

Car batts ever have responded well to being discharged. The op may well find that something like an alarm or immobiliser is slowly discharging the battery. If you are leaving it unused for some time best disconnect one lead.
--
bert

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 22:47:28 +0100, bert wrote:

yep, all manner of stuff is quietly running when the car is "off". Mine apparently is aware of this problem and if the battery voltage gets too low (FSVO "too low") it goes into a really deep sleep and has to be opened manually, via the one door that actually has a (hidden) key hole.

Or do as I did when I left my car unused for the last month. A small solar panel(*) on top of the dash board facing SE, connected to the battery. Car opened and started without a hint of a flat battery. Not conclusive, one would need to leave it for a month without the solar panel and see if it went into deep sleep, that's not going to happen.
(*) Halfords/Maplin £15 15" x 5" ish, 12 V, 1.5 W, 86 mA at max power.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Wednesday, 31 August 2016 22:50:13 UTC+1, bert wrote:

NOT a good idea on some modern cars. The on board computer may loose it's program if disconnected.
harry wrote:

Is there, literally, anything you're not wrong about?
--
Scott

On 01/09/16 09:12, Scott M wrote:

Well to be fair SOME onboard computers may lose SOME of their *configurations*
Examples are: car radio anti-theft kicking in and needing the code to be re-entered.
*some* immobilisers kicking in, and the car won't start
*some* other systems losing their marbles. ISTR that sometimes window warning lights come on until various resets establish where 'window closed' is..

I was thinking you'd need the radio's code if you disconnected the battery for that long. OTOH the OP has tested all this by running the battery right down, and he hasn't complained about the radio not working or the immobiliser stopping the car working.

All of which are detailed in the handbook under the heading "Changing the battery"
--
bert

Like the Renault I was working on the other week, procedure for resetting the *fuse box* involved opening the window and turning on the sidelights (with the door shut ) while re-connecting the battery. Not jumping through the required hoops left the wipers permanently on and no headlights... Genius :) Can itself ran fine though :)
On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 09:12:00 +0100, Scott M wrote:

Not to mention the spelling and grammar errors!

OBC usually refers to a user 'computer' on the car that does things like MPG and journey times, etc. The ones which control the engine etc more commonly called an ECU. (electronic control unit)
It's quite possible a flat battery can cause some things to be lost. Maybe the radio station memory. But a very poor design if it is anything important.
Many ECUs do 'learn' how the car is driven to some extent. But should default back to the factory settings if the battery is disconnected for some time. And quickly learn again. The ECU controlling an auto gearbox being the obvious one. But in any case updates quickly if you alter your driving style.
--
*A bicycle can't stand alone because it's two tyred.*

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Agreed, I've left all our cars disconnected for up to a year and the OBC relearns in about 20 minutes. Various ages of car. The only car which lost it's marbles was a friends GM Oldsmobile, where it was designed in as an anti theft measure and the reconfigure routine was a total pain in the butt.

*Tsk*. Lose not loose and its, not it's. On board should either be one word or hyphenated. The rest of it's bollocks too. ;-)
Tim
--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file

On 01/09/2016 10:59, Tim+ wrote:

Surely, it would be more correct to say "Onboard should either be one word or hyphenated", "On-board should either be one word or hyphenated", or "'On board' should either be one word or hyphenated"?
Not that either of us is in any way being pedantic.
:))))
PS: Not forgetting that rule of Usenet concerning correcting grammar.
On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 14:31:14 +0100, GB wrote:

I've decided that "onboard" (and "killfile" and "killfiled") *do* belong in Pan's spelling dictionary. They all seem to be more legitimate additions than the compound words "binge-watch" and "binge-view" that have made it into the OED fairly recently.

That P.S. looks to me rather like a 'hedge' against Murphy (a minor 'hands on' deity) whose self appointed task seems to be the strict application of "Sod's Law" at every possible opportunity. :-)
Strictly (and pedantically) speaking, your P.S. has provided Murphy that opportunity since "concerning correcting grammar" ought to have been more clearly expressed as "concerning attempts to correct grammatical errors" :-)
However, some may well argue 'common usage' and that no loss of the intended meaning has ensued as a result, thus making it an acceptable "colloquialism". Murphy otoh, will always assign "The benefit of the doubt" in favour of the pedant's interpretation[1] and rule himself "The Winner" (he *is* a deity after all, even if only a minor one). :-)
[1] My, my! I *am* taking chances with all these long words. Tempting fate with regard to Sod's Law. BTW, I'm blaming Pan's spell checker for any misspellings there may be in this Murphy baiting exercise. :-)
--
Johnny B Good

On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 09:59:17 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

So, it *is* ok after all, for me to add "onboard" to Pan's dictionary instead of hyphenating "on board"? :-)
I guess Harry's ghostly presence[1] isn't totally useless after all. Who'd have known? :-)
[1] That ghastly presence of a killfiled[2] troll which manifests itself as quotage[3] within other posters'[4] follow ups.
[2] Yet another compound word that I've added to Pan's dictionary too!
[3] A more questionable addition to Pan's dictionary but Urban dictionary and wordnik suggest this is likely to make it into the OED within a decade or so. I'm just anticipating (and doing my 'bit' to assist) this "official endorsement". :-)
[4] That is of course, posters who either aren't aware of the killfile filter, see Harry as a source of amusement rather than as a festering pit of toxic misinformation (the opposite of a "Font of Knowledge") or else simply CBA to utilise the killfile filter to "Send him to Coventry" in the first place.
--
Johnny B Good

Depends. Are you doing a GCSE anytime soon? Or should that be any time?
--
*All generalizations are false.

On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 16:41:09 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Well, I have no plan to do so right now (but who knows?), so it's purely a matter of personal preference intended to get Pan's spell checker to STFU.
--
Johnny B Good

It's quite interesting to use a spool chequer from a few years ago and notice how many new words - or combining of two - have come into use. Much of it from the US, of course.
--
*What boots up must come down *