car battery, limited use, newish not taking a charge

I had difficulty unravelling your numbered footnotes. You should observe a rule not to have a numbered footnote within a numbered footnote. Or better still don't use numbered footnotes.

Reply to
Dave W

But is that footnote or foot note? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Most modern cars (and mine is a 1995) with an ECU use non-volatile memory t o store the "adapted" values. If I want to clear them I have to use a diagn ostic tool. There are some cars that react to the 2.4GHz commonly used by many remote controls and that can cause a car to briefly wake up and if tha t happens a number of times, the battery is flat.

When the battery got too flat, it lost the link between the Alarm ECU and t he Body CU which meant I had to use the "Emergency Key Entry" facility to r eset them. Fortunately I had the details!

Cheers

Puffernutter

Reply to
puffernutter

All of which are detailed in the handbook under the heading "Changing the battery"

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Thicko strikes again.

Reply to
bert

Better not read alt.fan.pratchett, then.

Or any TP books.

Reply to
Huge

You have an appointment with Lord Vetinari.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Eek!

(Or perhaps, "Ook!")

Reply to
Huge

For yours to have gone fully flat something is discharging it .... put an ammeter on the lead to check for current draw .. if none you may have a faulty cell dragging the battery down.

If it is not sealed check each cell with hydrometer - or get it fully charged and do a drop test on it.

Buy a multi-stage charger and leave it connected to the battery. I have a winch in my boat shed top winch in boat and trailer ..... I leave battery permanently hooked up to a CTEK MKS 5 smartcharger

When you first hook it up it does a full recondition charge.

Got mine for a good price on eBay

I also have batteries on boat which are intermittent use so have an reverse pulse anti-sulphitation unit on these (extralifepulse.com) it stops sulphate build up which happens when batteries are left idle.

Never had to change a battery.

Reply to
rick

Like the Renault I was working on the other week, procedure for resetting the *fuse box* involved opening the window and turning on the sidelights (with the door shut ) while re-connecting the battery. Not jumping through the required hoops left the wipers permanently on and no headlights... Genius :) Can itself ran fine though :)

Reply to
Lee