Back after 10 years

So I was reminded of this area and rejoined.

Most recent project here was pretty simple. We expanded the container garden using simple cinderblocks and cut 4ft panels of wood fencing (we refenced the back wall of our 6x8ft wood fence and saved the best parts then split them to 6ft x4ft). I now have 18ft of container flower garden (butterly garden) and 6ft unused yet.

I also have some 20ft of vegetables growing. A few are first time for me trials. I've never grown tomatoes from seeds for example and they were planted late. I also have 2 containers of Chinese Broccoli going.

T'aint fancy but it's home.

Reply to
cshenk

Welcome back.

I hope it's not Wuhan Broccoli.

Reply to
micky

Indeed, she might get WuFlu.

Reply to
Xeno

If you just got back here, you might not have recognized an "inside AHR" joke. My apologies for using you as the messenger.

Reply to
micky

Grin, it's ok. I see a few folks I know here.

I used to describe how to screen in a wood porch yourself. Takes longer to explain properly, than to do.

As I work my way around, lots of OT of course but there always was some.

Blocked a few obvious outright spammers (ones probably others here already have blocked). Some interesting threads on powertools.

Reply to
cshenk

Welcome back, I remember you, bring on your wisdom.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Thanks Tekkie!

The most recent set are now greening up well with a butterfly and hummingbird friendly set of flowers. Bee Balm (wild bergamot), Johnny Jump up (forgot other names folks outside USA may use) and a wild mix.

With all this mess, I am 2 months late to plant some of these things for my area, but I'll have fun just the same. I think the cats will really like sunning on the screened porch ledge and watching the flowers. My dog Prince (recent adoption due to owner dying of COVID-19) likes sitting out there and has been very well behaved about not damaging the screens for which I am very thankful.

We have a project we would like to do and are looking over plans for. We need a BIG dog house. We have one for a medium/large dog but while Prince won't be left out other than when he's enjoying the sun and breeze for a few minutes, it's just smart to have one a dog can fit in.

My understanding is a proper dog house should be tall enough to stand in, wide enough to turn around in. We know he's used to one as he kinda wedged his back end into the existing one (grin) while I was doing a few seed plantings. To give folks a sense of scope, he's a Great Dane. Average towards slightly taller and a little bit underweight by maybe 15lbs.

My first guess: 4ft at the opening lintel, 4.5ft deep and probably

3.5ft wide. I need 3 sheets of 3/4inch plywood, 2 4x4 PT pieces for the base and I have lots of 2x4 bits for a base frame. Obviously nails, tar paper and a box of roof tiles as well as some paint.
Reply to
cshenk

I *heard* somewhere it should be constructed with an 90deg entryway to keep the wind and rain out.

Ah Great Dane - a gentle giant. Did you ever see a TV show called "The Incredible Dr. Pol"? A Michagen Vet that has several of them.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

My dog's favorite "den" is a hole under the bed that is about a foot high and 23" wide, 5 feet long This is a 125 pound Labrador that is 29" at the shoulder. He even manages to turn around in there. It is funny watching him flatten himself out and crawl in there. Originally my dachshund mix used it so I never closed it up. Two dogs later the Deuce man fell in love with it.

Reply to
gfretwell

Ah, that's what we had, labs, specifically black. Never had one crawl under the bed, they usually planted themselves on the bed. They were smaller versions of the breed under 100 lb. We can't take proper care of a dog anymore so we have a black cat. She's good for a cat but a cat ain't a dog and go for ride...

Reply to
invalid unparseable

We had smaller dogs, fox terriers, jack russells, that kind of thing. Our last jack would go under the double bed if any small children came to our house.

They all loved the car - except for when we went to the vet - they knew. Actually, my last jack didn't mind the vet so much because he was always given treats. And he had lots of operations. Still, he reached the age of 20.

Reply to
Xeno