OT: Adult colouring books? WTF?

What is it with "adult colouring in books"? Surely adults should be doing something more mentally challenging. Are we all losing our mental abilities? I used colouring in books when I was 6.

Stress relief, supposedly. A few years ago I had an eye operation that required you to keep your head down for three days. You can only read so many books, watch so many DVDs, and listen to so many audio recordings before going bonkers so I got one of the books. I couldn't get into it.
Yes it was OK but the character development was rubbish... grin. Brian
--
----- --

Kind of. I've known them used to help addiction recovery.
--
Cheers, Rob

There's something to be said for relaxing the brain, but colouring books are going too far. How about something with a slight amount of brain power, a jigsaw for example?

What part of stress relief don't you understand?

That turning off the brain of an intelligent person is not desirable.

I "turn off" my brain by using it less. Something less demanding than what I was doing. But I don't have to turn it off completely. In fact doing so makes the brain bored so it ponders what you were trying to stop thinking about.

I guess you're one of those people who can actually think of nothing when asked to do so. "Free your mind of all thoughts". Not possible for anyone of intelligence. The brain never stops.
Well they have been around since I can remember, indeed, many of the old Puzzler books my mother had on our holidays to do on the beach had a colour by numbers picture inside the back cover, and that was way back in the70s and 80s. Maybe you have been asleep. I' also remember the computer equivalent of this as well back in the 80s. I never did get that as many computers only had8 colours and a brighter version of each, though bright black was not. Brian
--
----- --
On holidays we did proper puzzle books, things requiring some problem solving.

Some people bypass the coloring books and go straight to GIMP.
https://static.timesofisrael.com/www/uploads/2020/04/AP_20106626028113.jpg
On 05/25/2020 04:27 AM, T Maxene Price wrote:

GIMP would send me straight back to coloring books. I use it but it's my poster child of how not to design a UI.

I have always used Paintshop Pro. Easier than Photoshop and a damn sight cheaper.
On Mon, 25 May 2020 12:09:03 -0600, rbowman wrote:

AP_20106626028113.jpg

You can hack the UI a LOT. And make it look like Photoshop (and work like it, pretty well) very easily. There's a good free online course (7 hours) which I've just finished learning from.
On 05/25/2020 02:00 PM, Bob Eager wrote:

I mainly use it for touching up png icons. I hate doing icons. Years ago when they started with all that Windows and X stuff I knew it was going to suck.

Have you ever tried to paint a ceiling? It gives you a stiff neck.
BTW, rbowman can't see your reply in uk.d-i-y.... duh.

Are you a bat?

You need a funny acronym (well at least a memorable one) to increase sales. Or er.... whatever they're interested in.

Yet another case of you not reading the next line before interrupting.