OT: Adult colouring books? WTF?

GIMP would send me straight back to coloring books. I use it but it's my poster child of how not to design a UI.

Reply to
rbowman

I was instructing my future brother in law in preparing the latter and had a batch drying on the kitchen counter. His mother came home and slammed the door as was her wont. Silence ensued as a purple cloud drifted toward the ceiling. Worse, her sketches for a new garage that had been on the counter were worse for wear.

You could buy iodine crystals at the drugstore in those days, along with flowers of sulfur, saltpeter, and granular charcoal. Life was good.

Reply to
rbowman

George Bush...

Reply to
rbowman

I have always used Paintshop Pro. Easier than Photoshop and a damn sight cheaper.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yes but you bought them from different drug stores so they didn't peg you as the Unabomber.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

BULLSHIT

?_nkw=household+ammonia&_sacat=0

Still can.

No perhaps about it.

Only for the completely unemployable terminal fuckwits.

Only for the completely unemployable terminal fuckwits.

Wrong, as always.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I remember playing with most all of that when growing up in the 50's and

60's.

Kids today just do not get to have any fun and Darwin does not eliminate the dumb ones. That is part of the reason for so many snow flakes now.

My chemsitry set had the PP and Glycol and told to mix it and watch it burn. Same with filtering some ioding and other chemicals and watch what hapened to that filter paper.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

No, I bought them from Hannan's drugstore down the street. Kid's were expected to blow things up back then. one of my more favorite chores was burning the trash. Mechanix Illustrated helpfully supplied the directions for making Molotov cocktails so most trips to the incinerator started off with a great ball of fire. No problem since the incinerator was a concrete block structure.

afaik only one kid was injured while trying to stuff kitchen match heads into a CO2 cartridge. I never went the match head route. I had a supply of AL-7 from reloading 12 gauge shells and Jetex fuse. The fuse wasn't that great though.

Today the entire 7th and 8th grade classes would be dosed into a comatose state with Ritalin or whatever else they're handing out.

Reply to
rbowman

One of the local teenagers did loose part of a finger when he was stuffing match heads in a piece of copper pipe to make a rocket. He used the 'kitchen matches' . Those were the strike anywhere kind with the white heads.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

You can hack the UI a LOT. And make it look like Photoshop (and work like it, pretty well) very easily. There's a good free online course (7 hours) which I've just finished learning from.

Reply to
Bob Eager

One of ours had his hand blown right off when he was holding a pipe in a vice with that hand and hammering the contents of a box of ramjet cartridges into that pipe with a steel rod and a hammer.

I can still remember his name 60 years later.

We used the contents of ramjet cartridges. Lot of major building work going on in that area at that time.

I managed to blow a piece out of my leg by trying a jetex pellet in a glass bottle filled with oxygen from a building site gas bottle.

Reply to
Jake56

I don't think you can even buy those anymore. How are you supposed to do that cool trick of striking the match with your thumbnail to light your Lucky? Double points for getting the match head stuck under your nail.

Reply to
rbowman

Those Jetex motors did wonders for the Guillow rubber band models. I built a Cessna 180 a couple of years ago. Same as it ever was. The laser cut parts are better than the old steel rule die sheets but the thing still didn't fly.

Reply to
rbowman

Gnu Image Manipulation Program is sort of a stretch...

Reply to
rbowman

I mainly use it for touching up png icons. I hate doing icons. Years ago when they started with all that Windows and X stuff I knew it was going to suck.

Reply to
rbowman

I was stocking shelves at a grocery store as a teen. Droped a case of those on the floor from waist high. Several of the boxes of matches lit off. They went out with out any dammage other than what was in the box.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

In the open they usually just burn but confined they go bang. That is essentially a Potassium Chlorate explosive but they will also go bang on impact, like shooting a kitchen match out of a BB gun and hitting a hard surface.

BTW matches were the explosive of choice for the Unibomber since there is no way to trace matches. I do think you can still get them because I have a 3 box pack, probably from a big box store.

Reply to
gfretwell

Those matches did not go 'bang', just burnt the heads. Being in the match boxes and then in an unopened cardboard box kept all the oxygen out so when the heads burnt out there was almost no air to substain the fire. There were probably 24 boxes of 50 or 100 matches in that case and about 3 or 4 boxes went off. sure did make a bunch of smoke comming out of the box.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Wow, I'm surprised electronics don't start many many house fires:

Commander Kinsey

You need a funny acronym (well at least a memorable one) to increase sales. Or er.... whatever they're interested in.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey