Cordless drill gift, but ...

Just been given a Hitachi cordless drill which is in good working order, but the batteries have seen better days. For the sort of prices I've been able find on the Interweb to refurbish/replace them, I could buy a new cordless drill with 2 batteries & charger from Screwfix. Can anyone recommend a company that will refurbish the old battery packs (type EB12) for an affordable price? I found a US company that can do it for around $40, but it's about £40 here ... no surprises there then.

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

The only way seems to be DIY. CPC are usually a good source of the tagged sub-C cells required.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks Dave. The two part case looks like it's held together with screws - I removed them, but still couldn't split the casing apart. Perhaps I'll try again and be a little more .. er, .. "persuasive" this time (bigger hammer!) ... got nothing to lose really.

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

I recently found that it was much cheaper to get a replacement 3rd party pack from Ebay for my Dewalt than buy the individual cells.

Andy Dee

(snipped ...)

I only used e-Bay once and had a bad experience. Never again.

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

I've used it over 400 times for both buying and selling. And have had only one bad experience. Due to an item being miss-described. Still waiting for the outcome of a dispute about this. In my experience the vast number of those selling on Ebay are more reliable and honest than the average trader elsewhere.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nothing wrong with Ebay, just a few rogues like any market place...

Reply to
Andy Dee

It wasn't a trader but a security issue - my credit card was scammed. I was advertising my daughter's car for sale and of course was required to supply the card details to pay for the ad. Next day, I received several phony e-mails purporting to be from e-Bay asking for confirmation of details. To the unwary, I'm sure they would have looked authentic, but I recognised them for what they were and didn't reply. Then, the next day I found the card was blocked when I tried to book some show tickets over the 'phone. The Fraud section at Barclaycard confirmed that it had been blocked because of "an uncharacteristic spending pattern" - top-up payments for a mobile phone network that I didn't use, train tickets, purchases from some mail order warehouse like Grattans or something ... Barclays covered the losses amounting to several hundred pounds and issued me with a new card.

I like to think I employ best practice in my home computing environment and in many years of purchasing items on line that's the only time I've ever had a problem, so I drew my own conclusions. To be fair, I have many friends and acquaintances who, like you, have used e-Bay many times without anything untoward occurring, but after that experience I'm afraid there's no second chance .........

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 08:31:21 -0000,it is alleged that "Mike Faithfull" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

It could also be glued or ultrasonic welded. A useful tip I picked up for disassembling battery packs which also works with wallwart type PSUs like this: Clamp it in a vice, tighten till it slightly distorts the case, you will probably hear a *crack*, then release and do it at

90 degrees to crack the other 2 sides, works a treat usually :-)
Reply to
Chip

Was it near the end of last year ie not long before chip'n'pin came in?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Given the size of Ebay I'd be surprised if they were the root cause. Especially if you just suddenly started receiving phishing emails trying to look like they came from Ebay immediately after registering.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can buy new here:

here:

you may be able to buy a complete drill for the price of a battery, it won't be of the same quality as the Hitachi, which are pretty good on drills.

Reply to
John Rumm