Cordless drill gift, but ...

Just been given a Hitachi cordless drill which is in good working order, but the batteries have seen better days. For the sort of prices I've been able find on the Interweb to refurbish/replace them, I could buy a new cordless drill with 2 batteries & charger from Screwfix. Can anyone recommend a company that will refurbish the old battery packs (type EB12) for an affordable price? I found a US company that can do it for around $40, but it's about 40 here ... no surprises there then.

The only way seems to be DIY. CPC are usually a good source of the tagged sub-C cells required.
--
*With her marriage she got a new name and a dress.*

Thanks Dave. The two part case looks like it's held together with screws - I removed them, but still couldn't split the casing apart. Perhaps I'll try again and be a little more .. er, .. "persuasive" this time (bigger hammer!) ... got nothing to lose really.
Mike Faithfull wrote:

I recently found that it was much cheaper to get a replacement 3rd party pack from Ebay for my Dewalt than buy the individual cells.

(snipped ...)

I only used e-Bay once and had a bad experience. Never again.

I've used it over 400 times for both buying and selling. And have had only one bad experience. Due to an item being miss-described. Still waiting for the outcome of a dispute about this. In my experience the vast number of those selling on Ebay are more reliable and honest than the average trader elsewhere.
--
*I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out *

It wasn't a trader but a security issue - my credit card was scammed. I was advertising my daughter's car for sale and of course was required to supply the card details to pay for the ad. Next day, I received several phony e-mails purporting to be from e-Bay asking for confirmation of details. To the unwary, I'm sure they would have looked authentic, but I recognised them for what they were and didn't reply. Then, the next day I found the card was blocked when I tried to book some show tickets over the 'phone. The Fraud section at Barclaycard confirmed that it had been blocked because of "an uncharacteristic spending pattern" - top-up payments for a mobile phone network that I didn't use, train tickets, purchases from some mail order warehouse like Grattans or something ... Barclays covered the losses amounting to several hundred pounds and issued me with a new card.
I like to think I employ best practice in my home computing environment and in many years of purchasing items on line that's the only time I've ever had a problem, so I drew my own conclusions. To be fair, I have many friends and acquaintances who, like you, have used e-Bay many times without anything untoward occurring, but after that experience I'm afraid there's no second chance .........

Was it near the end of last year ie not long before chip'n'pin came in?
cheers, Pete.

Given the size of Ebay I'd be surprised if they were the root cause. Especially if you just suddenly started receiving phishing emails trying to look like they came from Ebay immediately after registering.
--
*If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Mike Faithfull wrote:

Nothing wrong with Ebay, just a few rogues like any market place...
On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 08:31:21 -0000,it is alleged that "Mike Faithfull"

It could also be glued or ultrasonic welded. A useful tip I picked up for disassembling battery packs which also works with wallwart type PSUs like this: Clamp it in a vice, tighten till it slightly distorts the case, you will probably hear a *crack*, then release and do it at 90 degrees to crack the other 2 sides, works a treat usually :-)
--
The follies which a man regrets most in his life are those
which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity.
Mike Faithfull wrote:

You can buy new here:
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/products.php?cat=Hitachi%20Batteries
Recell here:
http://www.re-cell.co.uk/hitachi.html
While you may be able to buy a complete drill for the price of a battery, it won't be of the same quality as the Hitachi, which are pretty good on drills.
--
Cheers,

John.