Drill chuck to fit an electric screwdriver

I am sure one can get a drill chuck to go into the hex socket on a standard electric screwdriver. However, I can't find one. Anyone know where I can get one?

Someone asked the same question 28/03/2004 but the link given as an answer no longer works. Original question: Message-ID: Link that now does not work:

Simon Reed

There is one in this kit:

Palindrome

Palindrome wrote in news:HF22j.83092$ snipped-for-privacy@fe09.news.easynews.com:

Or even this one, a subset of the one in the link above:

Note that it include a selection of hex shank drill bits, so you may not even need the chuck...

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

ISTR buying one on its own from warehouse direct -

However, their website is practically impossible to find anything specific on and it may not have been from them...

I usually end up buying some of the bits and pieces just to find out what they are and what they do...

Reply to
Palindrome
< snip >

Reply to
Martin

In message , Simon Reed writes

Peter Twydell

Isn't it just. I think I'm going to have to steal it.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

The pitfalls of this is the chuck won't have good location. And by nature will only be used with small drills which will make it more of a problem unless just used for rough stuff.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"shazzbat" wrote in news:fibkat$2sh$ snipped-for-privacy@news.datemas.de:

The downside is that you then have to be *extra* careful with the grammar...

Kind regards

Reply to
Richard Perkin

In article , Peter Twydell writes

would not have expected Maplins to have such a thing. Hey ho. Ta muchly! Heads for the door...

Reply to
Simon Reed

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

You're gonna love this. It is for wine-making.

At some point in the process you have to de-gas the fermenting juice to get the CO2 out. That involves a tedious and wrist-aching amount of stirring. Alternatively, you invest in a degasser which is a long handled gubbins you put in your drill and you just whizz the bubbles out.

(Are you keeping up with the hi-tech jargon: 'gubbins' and 'whizz'?)

But my drill is a tad on the fast side. Cue a whirlpool and fermenting juice on the carpet.

So I could go out and buy a drill just for the purpose of stirring wine

- which is getting silly - or bung the degasser into something rather less butch ... like an electric screwdriver. For the sake of a fiver it's got to be worth a try.

So it is for DIY ... DIY wine making :-)

Thank you for all the help.

Reply to
Simon Reed

I've never de-gassed wine when making it. I just wait for the bubbles to stop and it's fine. It it a new thing? I would have thought you would stand the chance of introducing air- borne contaminants into the fermentation process.

On the solution, use a drill that has speed control. Mine can be set to go really slow. Some cheap screwdrivers are only speed-limited by the torque requirement, so would be of little use in your application

Reply to
JohnW

I'd agree with John, but then it's a few years since I made wine and maybe there are new techniques.

What always took time with me was not the rising bubbles (1 second) but the falling sediment (months). If there are bubbles still coming off then fermentation is incomplete, you still have sugar to be converted, and even then you have to wait until the yeast settles.

I know that disturbing the stuff is necessary when pounding the fruit, immediately after introducing the fizzing yeast from a starter bottle and turning the fruit over to sink the pulp in the open tub. However, once in the demijohn and under the airlock, you have to wait a few weeks for any fruit sediment to settle, months to convert the all sugar (to alcohol + CO2), and then time for the dead yeast cells to settle. Then you treat it like a baby with toothache that's finally just dropped off to sleep - stirring then will just mix up all that sediment . Ever so GENTLY racking it off is necessary. I would tilt the demijohn just enough to put a pencil under one side to get the syphoning tube deeper and then syphon very slowly.

I also thought or was prejudiced to avoid metal tools which were said to taint the wine (maybe stainless steel is okay?).

Have we drifted into a winemaking group?

Phil

Reply to
Phil B

In message , Simon Reed writes

Strange, I've never had a problem, and I would have thought that you would have been more likely to introduce airborne bacteria to the must

Better keep your wrist action for real DIY

Reply to
geoff

In message , Phil B writes

What's not DIY about winemaking ?

Reply to
geoff

Okay, agreed. Drinking it is DIY too! Phil

Reply to
Phil B