Following on from the SDS drill discussion earlier, anyone rate NuTool stuff?

's an 850w SDS hammer drill by nutool for 'just' £41.30, probably plus vat plus postage. Any good? I need one to do a kitchen install. My own, not a thriving business. I need to channel a concrete floor for a new water pipe, de-tile the walls, destroy an airing cupboard and channel 2 walls for about 4 single, 6 double sockets and some lighting cables. Will nutool be up to the task?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

It's plus vat, free p&p and you need an account with CPC. I think they've got them in Screwfix for about £35 incl vat. For what you need it'll probably do the jobs you want, just take it steady! ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

In message , Lurch wrote

You don't need an account with CPC if you pay by card at the time of ordering.

Reply to
Alan

When I say account I mean you need to supply all of your details but you can still order and pay at the same time and have no credit facilities. The cash account is a marketing ploy, rather than an actual account. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

Last question first - probably. Besides, it has a 3 year guarantee I expect so even if it's not up to the job you can get a new one :)

However I'm not so sure that cutting a channel in concrete is an ideal job for an SDS drill - perhaps others can comment on that. In reading articles on this newsgroup an SDS drill isn't particularly brilliant for breaking up concrete slabs so you might need a different piece of equipment.

Detiling - SDS drills are absolutely fscking brilliant for that job. If you get the drill out of the case and wave it at the tiles they will literally jump off the wall.

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at

apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!

Reply to
PoP

Yes. I do similar work with mine. Some people report them to be unreliable, but mine has been faultless. I mostly channel walls and drill big (and small) holes with it. Some light core drilling, too.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It must rank as the most satisfying DIY job in existence. After demolishing an entire tile wall, your heart starts sinking as you realise there aren't any tiles left!

This compares to doing it manually with cold chisel and hammer, it being challenging to get any bit of tile larger than about 2cm squared. If anything, you should try this first to further enhance your SDS experiences.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

> or...
> It's an 850w SDS hammer drill by nutool for 'just' £41.30,

Got mine from Woolies - £27 + 5 year warranty

Reply to
Chris Oates

Oh it can ! I've even used one as a replacement Kanga. Ok, it f***s the unit but the rebuild cost is still cheaper than hiring something more beefy.

Reply to
G&M

I got one (Challenge brand) from Argos for +AKM-29.99 and another from Makro (nutool) for +AKM-19.99 +- Vat.

A mate has used his Challenge one more than I and mentioned the drills that come with it were made of cheese. I used the big bit (22mm?) and went through a std external (brick brick) wall with no issues?

They are quite heavy but we are all 'men' aren't we? (and strong ladies of course) ;-)

I saw them in Woolies today (Wollies own badge) for under +AKM-30

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Mike Barnard writes

Yes, very - except for:-

The weight - ok if you are big & strong

Probably no clutch, so if a drill-bit jambs the pistol-grip can do serious damage to your fingers as it rotates - esp if you are wearing gloves.

Reply to
roger