How bendy is copper pipe?

I know that plumbers bend the stuff all the time, but I hate plumbing, so I've never tried! Possible project coming up on behalf of designer wife, who fancies a low garden fence made of timber with copper pipe inserts. I had an idea that it might look good if the pipe lengths were bent into inverted U shapes, but I don't know how easy it is to bend the copper pipe. How tight a bend might be possible .. is it possible to achieve a U shape? Also, what would be the best way to ensure that I could get the SAME U shape each time (ie not all different sizes) ... could I make up some kind of a timber form to bend around? Or am I just deluding myself and should I attempt to persuade all concerned to go for a timber picket fence?!

Reply to
Malcolm Hackett

You should be able to achieve at least a squarish 'U' with a pipe bender - careful measurement and some trial runs should achieve reasonable consistency.

Can't remember the minimum internal diameter of a bend but the pipe bender prevents you from doing too many daft pipe-collapsing things.

It is probably worth borrowing a pipe bender (if you can) for a trial run to see if you can form the shape you want. You can hire them, but AFAIR they are £20-30 a weekend at least. Decentish ones are £50-£60 or more to buy.

One problem with pipe benders is that if you start bending complex shapes in the same plane then the bent pipe can get in the way of the arms of the bender.

HTH Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Depends on the size of the pipe. If 8/10mm microbore, then hand bending is easy. If 15mm+, then you can hand bend, but it's not fun. Get (buy/hire) a pipe bender + set of formers for the project.

As for radius of curve, I'm sure there are specs for this, but I'd say for 15mm no tighter than 2" radius.

Reply to
Grunff

Pipe bender like this will do everything you want.

John Woodhall

========================= Buy a cheap internal spring bender. They're available in 15mm and 22mm. The

15mm should be best for your purpose because 15mm bends quite easily. 22mm can be hard work. If you're going to be using long lengths of tube buy a roll of strong fencing wire. Attach a length of wire to the end of the spring (it has an 'eye' in one end) so that you can push the spring to any required position in the length of tube. Using a 'former' made of wood is quite OK but don't try to get U-bends of less than about 6" (150mm) wide.

Screwfix don't appear to stock the 15mm spring (22mm only) but they're readily available from Wickes etc.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I also find it easier if you 'over' bend slightly and then bend back to the correct radius. Seems to make getting out the spring easier (esp. on small radius bends).

Colin

Reply to
Colin

As others have suggested, you can use a pipe bender - like the Screwfix model cited - or an internal bending spring used in conjunction with a home-made wooden former.

A lot depends on what size of U you want. The pipe bender is far easier to use, but will only really produce a decent looking U if you do one continuous bend, at a radius determined by the size of its pulley.

If you use a spring, you can define your own radius by making a suitable former. But be prepared to waste quite a lot of pipe because you'll need a straight piece either side of the U in order to get some leverage. As someone else said, over-bend it slightly and then unbend it back to the required position in order to make it easier to get the spring out - particularly if the spring goes right inside the pipe without having an end to catch hold of.

Reply to
Set Square

If you try bending shed bought 15mm into a tight 'U' with a spring, it will crinkle at best or even split. You'd need to anneal it first, which would be a right bore if you're doing several. A proper pipe bender will give far superior results - and uniform as well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Dies your wife expect the copper inserts to look the colour of copper pipes in the house, or the green colour of corroded copper?

Reply to
Brian S Gray

CPC have a slightly cheaper bender here:-

John Rumm

Malcolm Hackett pretended :

With the right equipment, it is very easy to bend. I seem to remember the pipe benders can do almost a 180 deg bend, of around 5 or 6 inches diameter if it is a rounded base to the U that you are seeking.

For much less cost, you can get a bending spring which fits inside the pipe, which stops the walls collapsing. One of these, combined with some sort of home made wooden former screwed down to a bench, might work. I suggest the spring is greased and some strong rope be tied to it, to ensure it can be pulled out. Wear heavy gloves, it hurts when the spring suddenly releases.

Instead of the spring, if you have a big enough freezer, you could fill the pipe with water and freeze it before attempting to bend it using the above DIY former.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You've had all the answers on this thread already so I won't bore you with them again.

If she is into modern art you could do the whole thing with compression fittings to make a unique fence. Only problem would be if the local yobs have a King Dick spanner handy..... ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Malcolm,

I think this should make a most unusual fence. Can anyone in the group tell us if there is anything that can be done to age copper quicky to get the green patina?

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Round our way the pikeys would probably think it worth hacksawing the copper loops off in the dead of night to earn some beer money. I got rid of my old hot water tank with 20 lbs of scale in it and a big hole where I'd chiselled the immersion heater out by the simple expedient of putting it outside the front door over the weekend. Saved taking it to the tip and getting rusty water in the back of the car anyway.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Wipe it down with flux paste (preferably the type that can be washed off

- Fry Metals "powerflow" would do). That will leave it very bright and shiny and "chemically" clean. It will then corrode very rapidly!

Reply to
John Rumm

Copper isn't very strong. It will all bend horribly the first time someone leans on it. You could try filling it with a sand/cement slurry.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

A better way might be to connect it up to 240v. That way they won't decide to lean on it for long ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Peter Parry

I think she will expect it to corrode and develop a patina over time ... but I'd better check(!) Why ask?

Reply to
Malcolm Hackett

I'm only thinking of a low fence (up to shin height) - its to mark out the edge of the garden (and prevent people from cutting across the corner) rather than to provide a convenient leaning point ... though now you come to mention it, leaning is one of my favourite pastimes!

I am thinking of using timber to provide the structural strength (not that it should need much) via horizontal bars, with the copper running vertically through it to provide interest.

Reply to
Malcolm Hackett