How to support a kitchen worktop against a tall panel?

We've got a 2.5m run of worktop that runs between a wall and a tall oven housing, beneath the end of the worktop that's closest to the tall cupboard there's a slide-under dishwasher. What's the normal way of supporting the end of the worktop where it butts against the oven housing?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Metal angle (either straight section, or individual brackets). Route out the thickness of the metal into the surface if you want it really flush and entirely invisible, although this is rarely necessary, as the dishwasher should hide it without bumping into it.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Plastic Jointing blocks which screw half to the vertical panel and half to the underside of the worktop. If space is of concern, then you can use small metal brackets to hold it all together.

Reply to
BigWallop

No way, that won't take the weight of a worktop! Christian's method is a good one, alternatively where it's all concealed by a dishwasher or whatever, I've done it by making a swift inverted "U" out of 2"x1" timber - the worktop rests on the horizontal member and the two verticals are legs which transfer the weight to the floor, rather than the oven housing (the inverted U [an "n" I suppose?!] is screwed to the side of the oven housing

David

Reply to
Lobster

They don't have to take the weight - almost always there are cupboards along the run taking most of the weight, you only need the end fixed to stop it being 'boingy'. A bit of metal angle works just as well if there is no room for the blocks.

As for making 2"x1" legs - why not just put a piece of same-coloured chipboard alongside the oven unit and use that to support the end of the top? stronger than 2x1 and much less noticeable.

Reply to
PC Paul

I'd get some steel angle brackets - B&Q sell them - of less than the height of the worktop. Two or three about a couple of inches long should be fine. Route them flush into the the worktop on both end and underside faces. The result should be invisible unless you go looking for it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks Christian, a very sensible idea. I was thinking of using a low panel fixed to the side of the housing but this saves me 16mm which is going to be useful.

Dave

Reply to
Dave