Is it wood chip or artex?

So, the kitchen needs plastering (ready for the new units) and we had a recommended (master) plasterer come and give us a quote.

The bath's been leaking and had damaged a ceiling board so that might need replacing and the ceiling is artexed (or then again it might not be).

Plasterer: "Ah I see you've got the ceiling papered"

Us: "No it's artex. All the ceilings are"

Him: "No it's wood chip paper - i bet it's been damaged in the past and they just papered over."

Us: "No it's not"

He proceeds to pick away at the damaged part of the ceiling and proclaims "Woodchip!" while holding a thumbnail sized flake in his hand.

Well, we just looked at each other

Him: "Tell you what, get a steamer and strip the paper off and then I can get a better idea of what state the ceiling is in but for now I'll say XXX pounds".

Me (telepathically): "Strip the ceiling? Go f### yourself matey"

We said out farewells to him and debated on what he said. SWMBO starts picking of the artex cum wood chip and says he's talking out of his arse.

It's gotta be artex. Once you flake away the paint it's a plaster colour underneath.

However could we be mistaken. Could the (master) plasterer be mistaken? If so how could he make that mistake?

Who decides he's a master anyway? (apart from the quality of his work).

2nd and 3rd quotes still to come.
Reply to
AnthB

The only way to find out if it is Artex or Woodchip is to pull one of the lumps off. If it's Artex it'll be like plaster all the way through. If it's Woodchip it'll have a lump of wood in it.

Reply to
BigWallop

Doh!

So simple.

Ah my brain can't take this heat.

Reply to
AnthB

Is woodchip always really wood inside?? Seems like they could use any old sweepings if they wanted..

Reply to
PC Paul