Removing artex...

Any suggestions as to the most effective way of removing artex from walls which has been painted? Replastering is a last resort - and only after artex is removed - plastering over it isn't suitable for this situation.

I've heard people talking about using normal wallpaper steamers, wallpaper paste on walls covered by sheeting allowing it to soak in and soften. I've also just come across X-Tex Textured Coating Remover (Screwfix does it) - however at £20+ for 2.5l (which does about 6-9 square meters) it's a bit pricey. 15l is £90. We have a landing + stairs + hall to remove it from - so we'd need quite a bit of it, and it could start costing a lot - however if it makes it wonderfully easy to get off, it may be worth it.

I can't find any details on X-Tex except in postings from Eco Solutions, the manufacturer, who in 2001 seemed to post a lot to DIY groups.

What do people have for suggestions?

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

I've used the steam method using a wallpaper steamer, works well, but wall needs skimming afterwards due to damage during removal.

I've also had artex skimmed over OK, but the plasterer did remove most of the paint, pointy bits and generally "flatten the artex" with a sander to provide a good key for PVA before plastering/skimming. The house looked so much better for smooth walls and ceilings, the previous rough artex down the stairs used to rip your skin off if you rubbed against it.

Reply to
Ian_m

I am an expert at removing Artex! We've lived in this house nearly 8 years and yesterday morning I removed the last bit of artex from a lobby ceiling. When we moved here every single wall and every single ceiling was artexed...

I use a normal earlex wallpaper steamer. If the plaster underneath the artex is reasonable and you don't rush you won't need to replaster, a quick sand after you have finished and you can repaint. I was lucky - the people who owned this house before us actually LIKED the stuff and covered decent walls with it.

It's messy BTW - cover your carpets well or, preferably, remove them before you start. You will get your shoes covered in what is effectively wet paint, take them off before you leave the protected area and carry them to the sink. I say this from bitter experience :) Try to keep the cat away or you'll get pawprints all over the house.

I've stripped artexed walls painted with what I assume was bathroom/kitchen paint - it seemed plasticy anyhow. The steamer got it off with no trouble at all - in fact the paint would sometimes come off in huge strips a bit like wallpaper and the artex underneath then came off with no extra steaming.

This is a good time of year to do it - it's hot work.

Reply to
Vera

If the plaster underneath isn't sound it'll come off. ;-)

I gave up after a few walls and just took the lot off,paint/paper/atrex/plaster.

Steaming is ok but it is seriously slow and tedious.

£90 is a chunk of cash towards replastering? Mark S.
Reply to
Mark S.

Don't give your money to evil spammers :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Yeah, I'm aware of that, and hence I won't be sanding any. Wet removal only for me, and I doubt there are (m)any issues with disposal of the wet gunk. Steaming or gel/chemical removal would stop any fibres from becoming airborne.

Thanks

David

doozer wrote:

Reply to
David Hearn

Reply to
doozer

I once tried Nitromors Textured Paint Remover (about 15 quid a litre IIRC) and it was total rubbish. So was a steam stripper though. It took about 5 applications of the stuff, followed by copious application of elbow grease, to get rid of the artex, and the ceiling still needed reskimming afterwards anyway. It's also corrosive (like paint stripper) so is not the nicest stuff to have dripping off the ceiling down your neck.

Not my best DIY session, that one.

David

Reply to
Lobster