ping Maggie: Rapunzel tomatoes

Hi Maggie,

Your description of cherry tomatoes on another thread sounded very familiar. My sweet 100 stop producing and get all weird come the hot weather.

Your Rapunzel hybrids should perfect for me. Where did you get your Rapunzels from? Seeds, greenhouse, Amazon?

-T

I bought the Rapunzel's as plants at a local garden center. We'd never seen them before, so we thought we'd plant 2 of them next to our 2 sweet

100's. The Rapunzel's out performed every cherry tomato we've ever tried, AND out performed every other regular tomato variety, too.

I've planted some tiny tomato varieties in my greenhouse about 6 weeks ago. They put out lots of cherry tomatoes, don't get any bigger than about 10" high, and you can plant 3 or 4 of them in one large hanging basket. Those seeds have sprouted already, so I guess I'll see how they perform.

I'm not planting any other tomatoes this coming spring unless I find one we might want to try that's better than all previous varieties.

We've already planned on buying a package of Rapunzel seed. I only had

2 plants and they would have taken over my garden if I hadn't cut them back twice!
Reply to
Muggles

Thank you!

You're Welcome!

Reply to
Muggles

Genetically modified plants are amazing. Are these plants Roundup Ready?

Reply to
Bert

Uhhh. Hybrids come from cross breading, not gene splicing.

Uhhh. Twiddling with God's fruits and vegetables is a sin. You may as well slap God in the face and tell him his food, as created, sucks majorly.

Reply to
Reverend Harry Hardwick

Where are you going to buy your Rapunzel seeds from(to dangle a preposition)?

Reply to
hrhofmann

The picture of the fruit stems is accurate, too.

Reply to
Muggles

Chuckle!

I love this part:

Along the bank of the river, on this side and that, will grow all kinds of trees used for food; their leaves will not wither, and their fruit will not fail. They will bear fruit every month, because their water flows from the sanctuary. Their fruit will be for food, and their leaves for medicine.?

-- Ezekiel 47:12 NKJV

Amazon.com has them too.

cool ... Totally tomatoes is where my husband likes to order his seeds.

Reply to
Muggles

The rare seeds guys that I posted my weird zukes from uses "open spoliation". Over half the time their zukes are not the variety they say they are (same package too). But the eat the same.

Does your husband have this issue with Totally Tomatoes?

So far Totally Tomatoes has been a good choice. We usually end up starting way more seedlings than we'd ever have space to plant them, though.

December 4th I planted the tiny tomato seed varieties and didn't really expect them to come up so soon, but the majority of the seed I planted actually came up in the pots. I did replant 3 tiny pots a couple days ago. I couldn't tell if those seeds were just slower to pop out of the ground or if they were duds, so I may end up with double the seedlings in those starter pots.

Reply to
Muggles

Thank you!