Tomatoes

I have a tiny garden, actually one bush tomato in a 10 gallon pot. Well I'm fed up with the commercial tomatoes, year after year I get nothing! This year instead of an indeterminate I went with a bush. Getting rampant bottom rot, tomato turns black on bottom and works all the way up, I added calcium as in crushed up tums, I fertilize with special tomato fertilizer and have watered frequently. Its not too late to get another already started tomato, any suggestions!

I remember as a kid tomatoes were easy and always good. What the heck can I do! I want tomato this year!!!!!!

Next year I'm going back to Amish Heritage!!!!!!!

Reply to
piedmont

This may clear up on its own, but that doesn't seem likely since you have a determinant tomato. Sounds like you're screwed. Being a determinant tomato, and that it's producing fruit, it is setting all the fruit that you are going to get now.

Do you have enough time to start another tomato? Is there a nursery near you where you could get a Stupice or an Early Girl?

Where are you?

Let's try and figure out where you jumped the tracks here.

What tomato are you growing? What is the potting soil? What kind of fertilizer did you use? Have you worked the soil in the pot since the tomato has been in it? How warm is it there? Does the pot itself get full sun (warmth of soil)? You're using 4" pine bark mulch in the pot? Blossom end rot can be caused by drought conditions, but it sounds as if you may be over-watering, which would lead to cracked skins like you had before.

Mistakes are costly, but they are more costly, if you can't learn from them.

Reply to
Billy

Blossom end rot can be caused by drought

I wait until the soil feels dry then add 1 gallon.

from the get go, everyone has turned black.

Here is a picture of the pot/plant.

Reply to
piedmont

My news server can handle pictures in this group, BUT none is included, and to get feed back from others you shoudl probably post the picture somewhere else, like alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.

Reply to
Billy

piedmont

are harder to establish homeostasis which means they dry out or drown easier. Might be good for a protected house plant but I?d place a 3X4 (4X8) raised bed on that nearest lawn sort of like a large window box. Guess you might manage some cherry tomatoes if you like challenges.

Reply to
Bill who putters

I've got a friend that is trying to grow some tomatoes (some are better bush) in 10" ~ 1 gallon on a sunny patio. I though this was way small from what I know about the root of a tomato. Is this doable if they are kept watered?

I'm not holding out much hope here, but her last garden spot was under a tree!

Jeff

Might be good for a protected house plant but I?d place a 3X4

Reply to
Jeff Thies

It doesn't show enough and the picture is not in focus.

Take a closeup of the leaves, fruit and stem.

In addition to Billy's questions:

Is the pot you are using the one you've had previous tomatoes fail in?

Reply to
phorbin

Think of it as a bonsai tomato, then when it gets root bound, bound feet will be the metaphor. Will be hard for it to stand too. Should get it some support.

Reply to
Billy

color, but I can't make-out the tomatoes.

One more time, please. Maybe you have somethng that you could rest your camera on.

Reply to
Billy

OK< I'll try to get close ups and yes the same pot but I took half the soil out and added some new.

Reply to
piedmont

It;s over 5 gallon size, if you can see that it is more round than the tomato cage.

Reply to
piedmont

Close Up Pics here,

piedmont

Reply to
piedmont

"At least once a week, it is advisable to leach all the unused fertilizer out of the soil mix by watering with tap water. Add sufficient water to the container to cause free drainage from the bottom. This practice will prevent any buildup of injurious materials in the soil mix. Occasionally, it is a good idea to water with a nutrient solution containing minor elements. Use a water-soluble fertilizer containing iron, zinc, boron and manganese, and follow label directions."

Found in

Bill who putters

Today I'm going to buy two different types of in determinants to plant in the earth hoping between the three I just might be able to enjoy a real tomato once again.

Reply to
piedmont

pictures and information here.

Reply to
The Cook

To add my 2 cents worth: every year at start of season I add a handfull of ground limestone to my pots and have never had blossom end rot since. The calcium will not cure tomatoes already affected but next ones on plant should be OK. A couple of Tums may not have been enough. The 40 lbs. of limestone I bought years ago, cheaper than Tums, should last me for the rest of my life ;)

Reply to
Frank