Re: Clematis -- When to plant?

Hi James,

I'd plant them in right away, and just make sure you coddle them with adequate moisture until they become well established. I planted a tiny (6") Grandiflora back in April and it's already about 4 feet.

Dave

I'm about to put together a section of lattice between my property and the > neighbor's. It will consist of some 4x4s covered with the lattice. My goal > is to cover this with vines of course. > > I'm thinking clematis would be a great addition here -- imagine a 6 foot > tall by 20 foot wide wall covered with clematis varieties and you'll see the > instant appeal. We'll probably put a few other vines in there as well -- to > give it a little more variety, maybe attract some hummingbirds. The spot > gets lots of sun, so it's perfect for just about anything. > > What I'm wondering here -- do I have to wait for next spring to plant or can > I get away with planting some this year? Any suggestions on varieties as > well? > > James > >
Reply to
David J Bockman

Plant them now. It takes a couple years for the roots to get well established. Don't expect a lot of growth next summer. Protect the roots with a compost mulch.

Reply to
Phisherman

Well, it depends a bit on the size of the plants. If you get the Clematis in 4" pots, pot them up in gallon pots, get their roots going, and either plant them in fall or next spring (you can sink the pots for winter). If you get more established plants, by all means plant them now. Keep them well mulched and watered, and since they are heavy feeders, fertilize once (bonemeal, rose or tomato fertilizer).

For really good information on which particular types of clematis are recommended and a list of sources, see

Suja

I like Armandii b/c it is evergreen. You can find out more info at .

I am jealous as I am running out of places for vines.

Best wishes! Heidi

Suja wrote:

Reply to
Heidi

Do you have them climbing up your shrubs and trees? I have three that are growing on roses, and have 5 more waiting, 3 of which will go on butterfly bushes, 1 on a trellis and 1 on a rose. If my husband didn't have a problem with it, they would also be growing up every evergreen tree I have.

Suja

Reply to
Suja

Proper mulching would be even more important at this time of the year, right? Because clematis like cool roots, so a clematis planted in the summer would need very careful protection? I'm not trying to discourage anyone from planting now; just reminding about need for cool roots.

I want to second the comments that Clematis may get off to a rough start but then recover and be very beautiful the next year. I was

*this* close to replacing one of mine this spring because I thought it was dead. Then I saw one little green shoot, and the next thing I knew, I had beautiful flowers. By next year, it should look just as lush as the one next to it that was completely healthy this year.

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

First of all -- thanks for the responses and links!

Ok, so what I'm getting here then is that I should buy now, pot 'em up, then transplant in a few months -- right?

My initial plan was to buy in September (money's tight at the moment) and put them in the ground right away (with appropriate amendments & mulching for the winter). The new fencing won't be put up for several weeks either. Should I change my plans?

We're in Zone 6, SW Ohio -- any varieties in particular anyone would recommend? Any vendors in particular I should buy from?

James

Reply to
JNJ

Agreed... Jackmanii has some pretty flowers. I have two plants that seemed to take about two summers to become established, but this year they blossomed for about two months.

Keep the roots cool, mine are planted in a bed of hosta's and a bed of daylillies, and the plant in sun or partial shade.

Jackmanii is popular, seems that a lot of local garden centers carry it, but you might wish to look at the other hybrids also.

They can grow pretty large. Longwood Gardens (Pa.) has several clemantis growing atop a large stone wall....very nice !!

Reply to
Peter