When to plant tomatoes.

Hi, I am new and just joined your nice group. I was told not to plant tomatoes until the last full moon in May. We would love to have a vegatable garden and wonder where and when to start.

Thanks so much. Bette

Reply to
Bette

If you live in south Texas, you missed the right time. If you live in North Dakota, it's not time yet. If you live in the southern hemisphere, it's another 3 to 7 months before the time is right.

The soil needs to be warm enough, and nighttime lows need to be high enough. It also makes a difference if you're just going to put them in the ground, or whether you plan to tend to them, doing things like covering them at night, and whether any mulch is involved. It could vary depending on the side of your yard you're planting them.

But the only thing you've told us is that you're new to the group. Since this group is world-wide, there's not a lot we can tell you.

Reply to
Warren

Where do you live?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Doug and Warren: My hubby and I recently moved to Pa from New Jersey. We lived in a

55+ retirement community for eight years. The people were wonderful, but we could not have our own garden, clothes line or some of the things we had in our other house.

My dad always had a large vegetable garden in their back yard in Massachusetts. But am not sure when he started planting. I can recall wonderfully full tomatoes, zuccinni, rows of string beens, beats, potatoes, and some corn. Seems like we also had winter squash. I have some wonderful memories of dad and mom weeding. Each evening they would water down the garden and he would use some kind of chemicals for the bugs.

At the end of the season, my folks spent days canning tomatoes and my mother had this wonderful recipe for tomato Chutney.

Thanks for responding. Finally the unpacking is at an end and we're looking forward to a small garden. Our neighbor suggested chicken fencing around to keep out the critters. Bette

Reply to
Bette

"Bette" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

the last full moon in May? there's usually only one full moon... anyway, it depends entirely on your location. i'm in zone 5. my last frost date is May 11 (the full moon in May is May 13), so i can put my transplants out after May 11. of course, i want them to grow faster so i'll build them little mini greenhouses around thier raised beds & keep them nice & warm until June. i have little faith in last frost dates ;) lee

Reply to
enigma

Thanks for your information. I like the mini greenhouse idea to prevent frost. Bette

Reply to
Bette

WHERE in Pennsylvania?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Um . . .well in a lovely ranch overlooking the Amish country. Bette

Reply to
Bette

Not necessarily so. Remember the phrase "once in a blue moon"? It refers, I believe, to the second full moon in a month. Doesn't happen often, but happen it occasionally does.

Reply to
Lawrence Akutagawa

I understand your desire to maintain a certain level of anonymity, but like New York, Pennsaylvania's terrain varies tremendously. Without the name of a town within maybe 20 miles of yours, there's no good way to advise you about your tomatoes. How many years have you been gardening?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Just wasn't sure. Now that my folks are gone, I often think of their hard work and would like to share in that same wonderful, (get my hands in the dirt). Being a Tuarus gal, I am drawn to the earth and it just seem so very natural to dig in and plant.

This is such a cool group. Thanks for your info and humor. Bette

Reply to
Bette

Troll anyone?

Reply to
Travis M.

I am not only new at gardening but not familar what a troll means. Bette

Reply to
Bette

Someone who posts silly or offensive messages just to get people riled up. You are beginning to seem like a troll because you have refused to answer questions which would allow people to give you excellent advice that's specific to your location.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I live in Pa. Thought I gave an answer in that some regions require early planting others like colder climates do not.

Yikes, I do not want to offend anyone. Because this is a bit new for me, I tend to be a big cautious. Like my husband said don't tell anyone where you live. He's not on Newsgroups and does not recognize the nice people.

Here I was giving tons of info and not taking into consideration your feelings. Shall I continue or am I behaiving like some dork? Bette

Reply to
Bette

Look at a topographic map of Pennsylvania and tell us what you see. Or, if you've driven across the whole state, describe what you saw. When you've provided either form of information, we can continue, and you'll understand why you need to be more specific.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote in news:G0T6g.11857$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

right, & this month there's only one :) i have a nifty little program called moonphase that runs in my taskbar. it shows the 2nd full moon as blue when it happens :) anyway, since the OP is in PA, it's probably safe to put tomatoes out now. lee

Reply to
enigma

"Bette" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

do you know your planting zone? parts of PA are zone 6 & some are zone 5. that would be helpful without giving away too much location info. of course, you did mention Amish neighbors, which is possibly Lancaster county (although a lot of the Amish from there have moved to southwestern NY & more rural areas of PA...).

you're fine. i don't think you're exhibiting any trolling behavior (watch Doug when we mention loose dogs! ) lee

Reply to
enigma

Bette,

I understand your nervousness about the Internet. Why don't you call you county extension office and ask them which zone you live in, then you can post that info here. A zone is a very large area no one will know your location.

Phil

Reply to
higgledy

Some areas behave like zone 4, too. Follow route 81 south through those mountains....

Reply to
Doug Kanter