Nitrogen-fixing bacteria

Hi. I'm trying to grow various ornamental legumes (Caesalpinia, Calliandra, Dalea) that aren't native to where I live (northern New Mexico), though some might be found within 50 or 100 miles. Am I right in thinking the following things?

  1. The nitrogen-fixing bacteria that are symbiotic with these plants won't occur in my soil.

  1. They won't be included in commercial inoculants either.

  2. My plants will not fix nitrogen.

  1. They'll need at least as much nitrogen in their fertilizer as non-leguminous plants (and my soil, like most in New Mexico, is very low in nitrogen).

Thanks.

Reply to
jerry_friedman

I disagree. My experience is that compost and/or manure have those bacteria, and that they will persist in the soil after one crop. You will not need N-fertilization in that case. Of course, my experience is limited to peas and various beans.

Also, if you have clover in your lawn, or vetch by the roadside, they may be around.

Reply to
simy1

I'm wondering whether the compost and manure that "inoculate" your beans and peas have the right bacteria because they come from areas where beans and peas are grown, and whether I could get any that would have the right bacteria for my desert plants.

Lawn? Is that something people have in other parts of the world?

I do have sweet clover and alfalfa growing wild in my garden, and I encourage them because I need all the nitrogen and all the plants with flowers I can get, but according to there's a particular species of bacteria (Rhizobium meliloti) that's symbiotic with those plants. I suspect that it won't be symbiotic with the other plants I mentioned (Caesalpinia, Calliandra, Dalea). Can anyone tell me for sure?

Reply to
jerry_friedman