Horn-like thing on tomatoes

Hi all!

I planted seven different varieties of tomatoes this year:

  1. Sungold - indeterminate cherry.
  2. Green Grape - indeterminate, small-kiwi shaped fruit.
  3. Matt's Wild Cherry
  4. Kuralik - determinite cherry.
  5. Mr. Stripey - indeterminate green with yellow stripes.
  6. Sweet Million - indeterminate cherry.
  7. Black Prince - indeterminate dark red-black fruit.

Of all of them, Sungold is the only one that's thriving. Black Prince is living, but not fruiting anymore. Green Grape looks okay. The rest have either died or are in the process of dying. The leaves start curling up, then the veins get dark, then the leaves start yellowing. The plant stops growing, then the whole thing kind of wastes away.

My concern is with the Black Prince tomatoes. A few of the fruit have a horn-shaped projection sticking out of them. They literally look like they sprouted a horn from the skin of the tomato. Does anyone know what this is?

If it helps, I live in the Seattle area.

Thanks! OTM.

Reply to
OTM

It sometimes happens. Nothing to be comcerned about,

Reply to
Frankhartx

------ OTM, I'm in New Jersey and have been growing tomatoes for over 6 years now and only this year did I get 2 tomatoes from

2 different plants with one of those "horns". All my varieties are different from the ones you posted so I don't think it's a particuar type tomato. Only thing different this year is that we had lots of rain early in the growing season relatively dry mid to late season. I did very little watering this year as compared to previous years. Other than that I don't know.

---pete---

Reply to
---Pete---

My tomatoes have had that from time to time, usually the black varieties; a Black Russian one year seemed especially prone to that. I can remember an occasional one coming through on my grandparents' grown-for-market beefsteak tomatoes in eastern Washington state. We kids called them "noses" so we had tomato people.

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

I have often seen such projections on certain types of tomatoes.

Reply to
Phaedrine Stonebridge

You might google for "tomato diseases" and see if you can't find a picture of exactly what the problem is.

'normal' mutation ... nothing to be concerened about.

I don't know if it helps to be in Seattle or not ... but it sounds worth trying.

:) Bill

Reply to
Noydb