Amaryllis roots showing on top

Yes, you need a larger pot. I put my Amaryllises outside (in the ground) after the weather warms up. I bring the bulbs in about the end of October. They tend to have more blooms the next blooming time when allowed to grow outside during the summer.

Reply to
Bill R

One of my healthy amaryllis bulbs is showing roots at the top of the pot. What does this mean? Does it need a larger pot? Jackie

Reply to
J. Davidson

Your plants are absolutely beautiful, Bill. Jackie

Bill's plants:

Reply to
J. Davidson

First, determine whether your bulb is an "amaryllis" (Hippeastrum) or a "naked lady" (Amaryllis belladonna). See my for a discussion of the differences between these.

Hippeastrum:

Some advocate leaving the bulb in the pot until it grows so large that it breaks the pot apart. The bulb seems to flower better if pot-bound.

Others (including me), repot the bulb before it gets that large. While repotting, I separate offsets (younger bulbs) from the parent and pot them separately. This can be done at any time. However, I would avoid repotting while the plant is in bloom or while a flower stalk is just beginning to emerge from the bulb. Repotting at this time will not affect the bulb itself but might damage the flowers or flower stalk.

Occasionally, I will plant the offsets in the ground. In my climate, they do quite well outdoors all year long whether in pots or in the ground. I only bring mine indoors to show them when they are in bloom.

A. belladonna:

Be very careful when you repot. Unlike Hippeastrum, A. belladonna reacts very negatively to having its roots disturbed at the wrong time of the year; it may refuse to bloom again for several years. The best time to repot is at the beginning of dormancy, just as the leaves die and well before the next bloom period.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Thank you Jackie. I try to plant at least a few new things every year. I also like to plant LOTS of tomatoes. This year I plan to have at least 15 varieties (likely over 6 dozen plants, mainly the "salad" type smaller varieties).

Reply to
Bill R

Bill R wrote in news:47dc8089$0$11053$ snipped-for-privacy@news.iglou.com:

what varieties are you planting & how many of each? i planted 47 varieties/4 of each last year. i'll be planting repeats of a few of those & several new (to me) varieties this year. fortunately (or unfortunately, if you look at it from my SOs view) i have *2* veggie gardens this year, the main garden in NH & a nice big garden in NY... and on an unrelated note, i've been told that i can now get a permit to grow ribes here in NH. i'm so excited, because that's a market no one else has around here... blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries.... yeah, but *i* will have currents & gooseberries! :)

lee

Reply to
enigma

Lee,

I am still "planning" and haven't purchased (or started) all my seeds yet. A few that I know, for sure, that I'll have this year are Red Pear, Yellow Pear, Gold Nugget, Jelly Bean Red, Jelly Bean Yellow, Juliet, Black Cherry and Green Grape. Those 8 (small) varieties are "neighbor requested" (all my "extra" tomatoes go to the neighbors). The "standard" varieties that I know I'll have this year are Early Girl, Supersonic, Lemon Boy, and Yellow Ping Pong (new for me this year). There are still a few new varieties that I am considering trying.

I start some of my plants in 6 packs, and others in 8 packs. I generally keep four of each plant and give the extra plants to my neighbors who have kids so that the kids can grow their own "little tomatoes". I don't start them too early but generally have them all started by the end of March.

I get my seeds from Totally Tomatoes

and Tomato Growers Supply Company
and all the varieties I mentioned (and LOTS of others) can be found at their sites.

Reply to
Bill R

Bill R wrote in news:47dd2a3a$0$11007$ snipped-for-privacy@news.iglou.com:

i didn't like the Black Cherry, but i always grow the red & yellow pears, and the jelly beans. i really like the current tomatoes. they come in red, yellow & white. the seed for the white are hard to find though. i like Garden Peach, but it's not a great producer here. i need to try out more sauce types, as we are cutting way back on prepared sauces & there's no commercial catsup without HFCS.

yes, i get tomatoes from there also, plus Amishland Seeds.

lee

Reply to
enigma

I tried a brown cherry that no one liked. We also like Cherry Romas. Interesting thing, and this relates to Tom's post about Rutgers, the first two years we planted them, they were fantastic and sweet. The last two years, they were not nearly as good. The seed came from two different sources.

I agree about the current types. I raise all three colors and we find the taste of the little things to be better than any other tomatoes. Absolutely loaded with fruit.

They are great for containers.

Reply to
Charlie