need help finding shrub

Hello,

My backyard is partially facing the street and partially facing the neighbor who has their deck out almost to the property line. Because our lots are small, whenever I go to my backyard I would be in their face and vice versa, no privacy at all! I'm looking for evergreen shrubs that will grow to 8 feet to act as a hedge so I don't have to see my neighbor or the street. I would prefer something that will reach matured height in 3 years because I can't afford buying big shrubs or building a fence. I'm looking for cheaper alternatives. Your help is greatly appreciated. I'm in zone 6.

Thank you.

Reply to
atptmt

How much space do you have for plantings, and what's the sunlight like... there's not much in the way of evergreens that will grow rapidly in a narrow space, and none will grow as quickly as you want. Since you live in a cold clime you or your neighbors likely won't be outdoors much during winter anyway, so you might be better off growing grapevines, they grow fast, are inexpensive, and give wonderful privacy... as a bonus you get to eat the grapes, and the leaves, stuffed grape leaves are yummy. Two grape vines will easily give absolute total privacy along 30 feet, and 8 foot high is nothing to achieve for grapes, and this in 2-3 years... you'll actually have very good privacy the first year, once they bud out in early spring you'll have a full wall of green within three weeks. The growing takes care of itself, you'll have to learn how to prune grapes lest you have a lot more green wall than you want.... not very difficult.

Makes a very attractive privacy screen:

Sheldon

You might try an Italian Cyprus tree. They're tall and narrow, and grow pretty fast. I'm not sure if it is too cold for you there.

Reply to
Laura at theGardenPages

I'm well aware as are most folks who actually garden, that's why I wrote the above highlighted statement. In zone 6 very few lounge outdoors Oct thru Mar.... how come you didn't know that... now you do.

Reply to
Sheldon

Key word when planting bamboo is "clumping" variety. I personally love black bamboo, and though it is said to be a clumping form, it runs very fast here in Texas. Plants don't read.

Reply to
Jangchub

Yesh, reminescent of the Hanoi Hilton.

Bamboo is extrordinarilly difficult to contain, especially any variety suitable for privacy screening... when it sends up shoots across the property line your neighbor will sue you for mega bucks and win.

Reply to
Sheldon

Had you not deleted the attribution you'd know, Widdle Willy.

Reply to
Sheldon

Wavy leaf Ligustrum (Lig. Recurv) is evergreen, 8' x 6' and very dense. It grows pretty fast and is virtually maintenance free. Plant on 5 to 6 foot centers. A 3 gallon pot usually runs about $10.00 and is at 2 1/2 foot. A 7 gallon runs about $34.00 and is about 4' and is only about 1 to 1 1/2 yrs ahead of a 3 gallon.

Reply to
Kevinthegarden

There is a very nice selection of viburrnums which are vergreen and will do very well in your zone. Many of them grow fast.

Reply to
Jangchub