Help ID tree?

can hover the mouse over the photo and select original The second photo is a close up of the leaves showing the distinctive reddish area.

I tried using tree identification web site but I can't answer some of the questions

Anyway there is a distinctive red area on the leave, perhaps that is enough clue for experts to identify the tree. It's been growing for 2-3 years and was planted by a neighbor who moved away. Now nobody is maintaining it.

I want to know what tree it is because I want to know

(1) How big is it going to grow to. If more than 15 feet I might want to remove it. There was a maple tree there previously and had to be remove because it was breaking my driveway.

(2) whether to prune the bottom branches so that there is only one main trunk

Reply to
james

Some type of pear I'd guess going by the leaf. Look for Bradford pear.

Reply to
Bill who putters

This tree had largish flowers before the leaves came out, yes? Because when I click on the close-up photo, I'm pretty sure I'm looking at a magnolia. (Check the tip of the branch.)

It appears to most likely be a hybrid ornamental variety of magnolia and not a potential giant tree like M. grandiflora (southern magnolia).

It could possibly reach 15 feet in 10 years or so. Much, much MUCH less likely to be heaving a driveway than a maple would be.

Better off left multi-stemmed and low-branched, but that's a matter of taste.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

I could not figure out how to start a new thread, so I'll post my query here. I have a fruiting tree in my yard.. this is the first year since I moved here that fruit has appeared. I've lived here 3 years. I've tried the online tree identifiers but they can't narrow it down. A lot of the results bring me close to the persimmon family but the fruit is not persimmon... I'm pretty sure.

The fruit itself at this stage is small, about the size of a cherry tomato. The skin is soft and fuzzy. The fruit is globe shaped for the most part, some of them looking a little bit more like a young pear. When cross sectioned, there is a relatively thin band of light colored fruit with a pentagon shaped seed cluster center. Each of the 5 sections of the pentagon appear to have clusters of elongated bean-shaped seeds in them.

The foliage is somewhat varied. There are long shoots coming up from the ground with simple, alternating, smooth, oval shaped leaves tapering to a dull point. Some places have clusters of shoots coming out with irregularly distributed leaves. There are shoots with leaves, and then there are branches with shoots with leaves with branches with leaves as well. The undersides of some leaves are fuzzy, while others are not. The edges of some leaves are wavy while some are not. 80% of the leaves are more or less perfectly formed with some small portion of the leaves forming damaged like a lobe or something. The veins grow out from a central vein and toward teh edges of the leaves appear broken up like dried mud. or a network of busy city streets. The trunk is smooth mostly with lots of round bumpy spots where either it was pruned or who knows what. These silvery/black bees really like this tree at certain times of the year.

The fruit currently resembles young apricot right now, but I know it is not because of the seed pockets inside. I have some pictures that can be viewed here:

'Pictures by emharta> ;886523']'tree'

You can hover the mouse over the photo and select original

Reply to
Doug Vernon

Just a guess: quince

Reply to
brooklyn1

Bears some resemblance to medlar.

Reply to
Amos Nomore

No, can't be that.. the leaves don't look right. The other suggestion .. Quince.. may be a hit.. the leaves do look right and the fruit is similar. I guess I'll have to wait til the fruit ripens to get more information for you.

Reply to
Doug Vernon