Anyone got a Flymo hover.

...... that actually picks grass up? Had my compact 330 model 3 years now and have never seen more than a handful of grass in the box. Motor turns the blade and fan, lid sealed, good dry grass worthy of a cut... and nothing in the box but cuts the grass well.. If yours picks grass up then what could possibly be the problem with mine.The other half said I must go forward only..... still no difference when I do.
Justine Time wrote:

Have you replaced the blade the wrong way up?
Turns a hover into a rotavator .. ;)
--
Paul - xxx

I have one. Has always picked up no trouble.
All Picked Up and Compacted.
An Upside Down Blade also works. The Blade is designed to make the grass stand up for cutting. The Fan behind creates the vacuum
The PickUp works like a vacuum cleaner and sucks up the cut grass at the back.
Is the lid closing properly to make a seal, you should be able to feel the vacuum.
Baz
On 29/06/2011 13:34, Justine Time wrote:

Are the vents clogged with grass clippings? Can you tell if there's any 'suck'? Or are you saying it was like this when brand new?
David
On 29/06/2011 16:08, Lobster wrote:

No nothings clogged including the plastic intake mesh. It hovers ok so suppose that means the "suck" is ok.Lid seals perfect.On my hundred ish metre lawn with a good 1" cut I get no more than half inch of grass at the bottom of the basket..... never get more than that since purchase. If the motor turns, the fan turns, sealed lid, beats me then why I don't get any grass collected.

By any chance, is the bit that sucks, still have a bit of tape across it?
On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 13:34:38 +0100, Justine Time wrote:

ours works fine - bit battered over 10 years old now
--
(º•.¸(¨*•.¸ ¸.•*¨)¸.•º)
<.•°•. Nik .•°•.>
On 29/06/2011 13:34, Justine Time wrote:

My 330 was the same, it would only pick up a very small amount of grass no matter which way round the (new) blade was fitted so I changed it to a mower with wheels which fills the grass box completely.
How can a mower that is designed to float on a cushion of air that must be flowing towards the ground to create the cushion then cut grass that must be flattened to the ground by the downward airflow.
My new Bosch mower mentions this in the sales blurb. This mower uses wheels and a fan to suck the grass upwards before being cut and blown into the grass box. This mower produces a vastly superior close cut than the Flymo ever did.
On 30/06/2011 09:16, Count de Monet wrote:

Understand that but if one has the problem then all should have the problem yet some will say picks grass ok.... and compacts.I shall lookaround for a wheeely mower for next season.Just thought, maybe I have the wrong kind of grass/:
Count de Monet wrote:

And then, whatever it has managed to cut, and blow downward amongst the uncut grass, has to be sucked back up by the second fan (i.e. not the blade), and blown into the grass box.

Absolutely! Basic physics ;-)
I have the Bosch Rotak 34, and find it very manoeuvrable on my smallish lawns.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk