Got a HF Multifunction Tool

This Harbor Freight clone of a Fein MultiMaster tool is on special this Black Friday for $39.99. I was there when the doors opened and had to jostle my way through the throng of maybe eight people waiting to get in.

The manager had to dig some of these from the backroom and the store did not yet have the replacement packs of attachments.

That said, I got it home and opened the box.

The tool weighs about three pounds and seems VERY sturdy. It's larger than a Dremel, but it still fits in the hand comfortably.

The tool comes with a set of blades (bits? attachments? thingies?), a set of spare motor brushes, an allen wrench for changing the blades, and a couple of pieces of sandpaper. Oh, and a 16-page booklet of warnings ("Do not use under water," "Not for use on over-ripe fruit").

The supplied attachments include:

  • A 1" cutting blade
  • Another cutting blade
  • A Pac-Man shaped cutting blade
  • A scraper blade (semi-flexible)
  • A sanding block and a couple of bits of sandpaper.

Usage is straightforward: Attach the desired blade (and apply a lot of torque to the allen screw!), plug it in, turn it on. It cuts wood very quickly, it sands like you suspect it would. Interestingly, the cutting blades have no kerfs or sharp edges. They're merely serrated.

The sanding block and the supplied sandpaper operate on a faux-Velcro principle.

I haven't tried removing tile, cutting pipes, or removing grout, but I'm sure the tool would do those jobs quite well.

Using an allen wrench to change bits seems a bit primitive, but no more so than a regular wrench to change out a router bit or angle-grinder wheel.

So far, in my modest remodeling efforts, I've undercut about a zillion door frames in order to install flooring. I wish I'd had one of these tools - it will make the effort for the remaining targets so much easier.

I've never used the Fein tool, but, after watching the Fein demo video, it seems as if the HF tool will duplicate exactly the Fein's antics.

------- P.S. While I was out at dark-thirty a.m., I picked up the 5-gallon wet-dry vac at Walmart ($15.00). I tried it out. More than adequate suckage.

P.P.S. I noticed that one person was trampled to death (and the doors ripped off the wall) at a Long Island Walmart this morning. Nothing like that happened here, possibly because a quarter of the shoppers carry guns. Sample conversations: "May I have that last X-Box you're holding?" "Certainly. Be my guest."

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:6ZWdnYYVbOov3K3UnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Based on your previous post about this, I was out about 8am so I thought I'd stop in WM for a couple of non-sale things I need to get anyway and see if they still had any. One left so I snagged it. Can't go wrong. It's a $30-35 item I believe.

The 5gal one I have is about 3 yrs old and on it's 2nd motor. The drywall dust that gets through/past the filters kills motors. Motor went on current one 1yr & 11mos...one month SHY of end of 2 year warranty (Murphy sleeping at the wheel). I called Shop Vac when it crapped out. They just asked me the date of purchase and sent me a new motor.

Go at 8am. Live long and prosper V :-)

Reply to
Red Green

I'm glad you were successful. I'd be interested in hearing how its performance compares with the high-priced brand.

But you went at 8:00 a.m. and got the last one! Had you waited until 8:05 a.m., you'd have had to ask someone to give you theirs. Of course, in Texas that wouldn't have been a problem - they'd politely handed it over. With a smile.

Reply to
HeyBub

-snip-

Y'mean like these 2 yahoos?

And in SoCal, no less. The last 2 neocons in California?

If that article is correct it points out *exactly* why arming everyone isn't a good idea.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Since it appears that they were already breaking the law just my carrying the weapons, additional laws would do what?

Reply to
Jim Rusling

Jim Rusling wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rusling.org:

Infringe on ordinary decent citizens(ODC's) Right to Keep and Bear Arms(RKBA).That's their intent.

I doubt the two had permits to carry concealed weapons,and IIRC,CA doesn't allow open carry.

Vermont has open or concealed carry with no permit required,yet they don't seem to have the "blood in the streets" and "Wild West shootouts" the anti- gun crowd loves to predict.

And Vermont amazingly is a LIBERAL state.

One more thing;pro-gun people do NOT advocate "arming everyone",but allowing those who CHOOSE to be armed legally to do so.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Where did I say anything about a law? I think we have plenty. I also think there are a lot of nuts in the world. [2 less today]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

-snip-

This is exactly my problem with *some* 'pro gun' people. *Some* of them *do* think that. And they also think that anyone who wants to keep gang bangers from shooting up the neighborhood are after every hunter's sporting rifle.

Your brush is too broad on both ends of the spectrum.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns9B65771E3C574jyanikkuanet@74.209.136.84:

Spent over 20 years in VT (Colchester, Essex Jct & Williston). Nope, no blood in the streets. Nobody tries to be a bad ass and pulls a gun out just to "show 'em" because the probability the other person is armed is high. Hunting season you will never see a convenience store held up because 95% of the customers are armed. Easy to tell because of the holsters and ammo belts.

Reply to
Red Green

A big difference between California, (and in today's store shooting, Georgia) and Vermont is that Vermont isn't populated by the underbelly of society.

Reply to
Boden

Boden wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@enews5.newsguy.com:

I suspect that Vermont has its fair share of criminals,in it's urban areas. Perhaps not at the levels of LA,Miami,or Chicago,though.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns9B6671C769DD0jyanikkuanet@74.209.136.83:

Oh yea. They have murders, rape, theft, drugs, the gauntlet. But the level/frequency, as you say, is not at the level of your examples.

Reply to
Red Green