HF Oscillating Multi-Function Tool

Actually got to use it today for a classic rot application - replace bottom couple of feet of brick molding at garage. Personally, I'd just replace the entire length but it was for someone el$queeke.

It worked awesome. Nice clean straight cut in no time. The fact that it's only single speed was not an issue this time. And as mentioned, the case head get very warm very quick. Not sure I'd like to be using this for long periods.

Can't wait till it craps out...so I can justify a Fein :-)

Suggestion, if you're not gonna get one of the better ones in the $150+ range, get one of these. A few uses will make you glad you spent the $35 (with HF coupon) or so.

Reply to
Red Green

Glad you like it.

I've really stressed mine - and you're right: the case does get warm. But never hot. It gets up to the toasty level and stays there.

If you've got a rotary Dremel, you can "resharpen" your worn down blades. Just cut as many 1/16" deep slots in the blade face as you can manage and you're good to go.

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:xZKdnbK64IcetPjXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Well, it's HF. So I figure when the blade gets dull I can just manually hammer on the back while running it. Kinda like a hammer drill...sorta :-)

Reply to
Red Green

Joe wrote in news:fbb0d9ca-20c7-47aa-8695- snipped-for-privacy@r2g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

Blades Joe. The HF's are only for wood I think/assumed and the wood ones are said to be junk. New set of HF econo blades only $6 but metal cutting blade would be handy at times. Have had multiple occasions cutting toilet bolts with recip saw. Sometimes it goes easy and sometimes just can't get the saw in there right. I think there was a comment once about Dremel blades fitting it?

There are no pins in the HF mount to mate with blade holes. Have seen comments about the blade repeatedly coming loose.

Reply to
Red Green

The "wood-cutting" blade cuts metal. And bricks. And mortar. And grout. It just dulls faster.

And yes, the Dremel blades fit the HF.

Easily overcome with a longer Allen wrench.

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:6bmdnX8mfbX0N_jXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Thanks HeyBub.

How about allen wrench socket in 18V Ridgid hammer drill:-)

Reply to
Red Green

"HeyBub" wrote in news:6bmdnX8mfbX0N_jXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Bastard! Lowes only has the 3pks of the wood/metal blades for like 35$. Do not have the single wood/metal blade. HD is available online only. WTF?

Yesterday wanted 5/4 lumber at Blue Borg. Don't stock. Ugh!

Reply to
Red Green

Hmm. You can get a single blade here, for $5.99 and they'll throw in two scrapers for free.

Using your rotary Dremel, you can convert the two scrapers to cutting blades my simply notching their business end. The result would be three blades for six bucks.

Alternatively, for five dollars more than HD wants for three blades, you can get an assortment of blades, some sandpaper, a spare Allen wrench, and the tool itself.

HeyBub

Got a link? Or are you referring to an ordinary wheel blade like is used on an angle grinder?

I'm sure the latter would work...

Reply to
HeyBub

That's what lumber yards are for.

Reply to
Bob F

67264 is not online or is a discontinued item...
HeyBub

You might want to try that again, I had no problem finding it.

BobR

item...

Okay, thanks. My search was coming up with an artificial fern, but I think I can figure it out.

Reply to
HeyBub

item...

Bob F

Latest HF catalog shows item 65983. Obviously my error; don't know whether it was an old catalog or misread. This number works, though.

Joe

Reply to
Joe