CAUTION !! HF Multifunction Tool

HF MF (Oscillating multifunction tool) works great as mentioned in a previous post. BUT, went out and bought a Dremel half moon cutter to try the difference, and the tools do not interchange. Different hole pattern. I'm out $ 10. Don't know if I can take it back (Home Depot) since I totally destroyed the plastic packaging upon trying to open it. Be careful out there.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Next time, you'll know to take the tool in with you when buying blades if they're not HF brand.

The main method of plastic package removal is to use a set of utility scissors.

They cut through it like cheese while leaving a returnable pack if the contents are bogus. Now you know.

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

Can you be more specific? I've used Dremel blades on my HF tool with no problem.

Reply to
HeyBub

IIRC, there were two different head patterns on the HF models. I seem to remember reading that on another site.

But now there is just one. I don't know which one is which fits the Dremel blades, the old or new pattern.

After looking at the price of the Dremel blades and not seeing any discernible difference in quality of stamping or welding, I will gladly pay 50% less for the HF blades. They seem to last pretty well.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

My old HF Multi Tool uses the Dremel and Bosch blades sold at HD. What has been discussed here in the past is the new HF tools changed their head design which sucks because their attachments and blades suck, if you can even get them. Seems they don't always stock them. My old HF Multi is going strong so think I'll keep it and use the better blades that fit at HD.

Reply to
Rich

The Dremel blade has a large mounting hole in the center that is the same diameter as the HF. However the outer circle of 'locating holes' are on a smaller radius. I solved the problem by taking a tiny file and elongating the locating holes until they become slots. Only did 3 holes 90=B0 apart because the Dremel blade is not a full circle. Works fine, however no better - no worse then the HF blade. Just more expensive and smaller.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Do you put HONDA wheels on your Ford truck also ????? DUH !! Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

Brings to mind the 82mm mortar the Soviets used in WW2. Everyone else standardized on 81mm. Being a smoothbore and only moderately accurate weapon, if necessary captured 81mm rounds could be used in the Russian mortar, but the 82mm Russian rounds would not fit in the 81mm tubes.

Reply to
Larry W

Home Depot will take it back. You may need get a manager and tell him "I do all my shopping here and have for years because you always deal fairly with me when I had a problem. Here I simply purchased the wrong thing and have no earthly need for it at it doesn't fit my tool."

They may, now, charge a ten (10%) percent re-stock fee - look at your receipt - it tells you.

Push. Squeaky wheels gret the grease.

A few years back my wife and I looked at a Rubbermaid 7 x 7 shed with a big sign declaring it was $347 or so. After checking Lowes down the road (theirs was nearer six hundred) we returned to the order desk and tried to buy it. They said they had no 7x7 shed at that price. After checking, they asked if I had see the five hundred plus sticker on the shelf, above.

We replied, "We saw nothing on a shelf, we walked inside it."

Long story short, I got it for the mis-marked price less ten-percent for putting it on my new HD card. Ah, grease.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Quacking ducks get shot!

Reply to
salty

You just take it in and return it. You don't have to kiss anyone's ass or make a fuss. Walk up to the return counter and say, "I'd like to return this."

If they ask you if you used it, it's not to give you a hard time about returning it, it's so they know whether to put it back on the shelf or on the clearance rack.

You don't even need a receipt. If the UPC scans in their system, they will refund your money on a gift card at the lowest price it sold for in the last 90 days.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I know the feeling. Bought some Chevy parts a while back and you can imagine how POed I was when they wouldn't fit my Ford.

Reply to
CW

I have seen somewhere an adapter to fit different blades to a multifunction tool but I can not remember where.

Reply to
F Murtz

I have never had HD refuse a return. We are rural and the nearest store is 30 miles away. It is not unusual to buy on the high side of our estimate quantity and return unneeded if necessary. I have also returned items in open plastic packages without questions. But, I open them carefully by popping the edges or slicing an edge, especially if there is doubt if usability.

Regarding %$#% plastic packaging. The bastards who design that stuff should be required to spend their after-life eternity opening their products.......While impaled!

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Agreed, specially when most of us are all thumbs!

Reply to
Rich

Around here it varies store to store. Most don't care if I have a ticket or not to return unused material from a project if they can simply credit my commercial account.

Some stores want a receipt and they carefully examine the goods being returned while giving me "the eye".

I think it has a lot to do with their monthly reports on returned goods from store to store.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I have never had HD refuse a return. We are rural and the nearest store is 30 miles away. It is not unusual to buy on the high side of our estimate quantity and return unneeded if necessary. I have also returned items in open plastic packages without questions. But, I open them carefully by popping the edges or slicing an edge, especially if there is doubt if usability.

Regarding %$#% plastic packaging. The bastards who design that stuff should be required to spend their after-life eternity opening their products.......While impaled!

RonB

I recall reading within the last year or so that Amazon.com was going to require easy open from their vendors. Apparently packaging is one of their most frequent complaints.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis