HF Multifunction tool

HF has their version of the Fein multimaster on sale for under $40. Here's the link:

once in a while I wish I had something like this for trimming some molding or whatever. Anybody own this puppy? Dremel has one, too, for about $100. Are either of them worth the $$$?

Reply to
TD Driver

I got the HF one the first day they went on sale (last Black Friday).

Yeah, it's worth it.

I've used mine for:

  • Undercutting door frames when laying tile.
  • Precision trimming for laminate flooring and counter tops.
  • Cutting holes in sheetrock.
  • Sanding in confined places.

The blades are interchangeable between manufacturers (mostly). That is, the Dremel blades fit the HF tool.

Reply to
HeyBub

Just get one and try it. They have a great return policy.

I'll be picking on up tomorrow. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Reply to
Pat Barber

The real question is what attachments are available and for how much. IIRC HF only has a few blades. Adding a full set of Fein accessories to it is going to run that 40 bucks up right quick. Whether it's going to run it up to more than the "Top" kit from Fein I don't know offhand.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On 5/8/2009 9:14 AM J. Clarke spake thus:

But what about the Dremel stuff? Remember that there are now lots of players in this game. HeyBub tells us that the HD tool takes at least some of the Dremel bits and cutters.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Yep. I've bought the Dremel flat saw blade and the 270° blade. Both fit the HF.

Interestingly, neither "blade" has a kerf. Nor do they have sharpened faces. The business end of each blade is merely a flat piece of metal that looks as if it was cut with the equivalent of pinking shears!

Shucks, you could make your own with a (classic) dremel, or refurbish one that was worn out. I'm gonna try that on the next blade that wears down.

Reply to
HeyBub

I know for certain that the Fein MultiMaster can use the Dremel saw blades as I bought one of the Dremel blades for use about two weeks ago. $11.00 for the Dremel blade at Home Depot verses $26.00 for the Fein at Woodcraft.

Reply to
Nova

On 5/8/2009 11:45 AM HeyBub spake thus:

You mean they don't leave a kerf in the material you cut? Why, next you'll be trying to sell us perpetual motion machines!

(I know this isn't what you meant--just giving you a hard time.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Oops! Yeah, I meant the "set" of the teeth. That is, they are not offset from the blade's stock.

You can even save electricity by bypassing the switch and just wiggling the tool.

If you think of the tool as a miniature reciprocating saw, new uses come to mind, such as trimming bushes, carving turkeys, and the like.

Reply to
HeyBub

On 5/8/2009 2:13 PM HeyBub spake thus:

So since you actually own one of these tools, perhaps you can answer a question: the MultiMaster infomercial shows, among other wondrous things, a user of the tool pressing the vibrating edge of a tool against his hand with no damage or injury. Is this something you've been able to demonstrate to yourself? (Not asking you to potentially slice open your fingers, just curious.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Have you ever used a reciprocating saw on an unsupported piece of lumber? You know how it won't cut it, it just moves the piece up and down real fast? I'm guessing that's how it would work on your hand.

Since these small reciprocating multi-tools have such a tiny distance of travel in their reciprocating cycle, I'd speculate that they would just move your hand (or even just the skin) back and forth a tiny bit. I'd also speculate that you could hold a piece of wood against it, lightly, and it wouldn't cut it, but move it back and forth, fast.

My local HF was out of their version, today, but are getting a bunch in their next truckload.

Reply to
-MIKE-

A cast saw works the same way. I always demonstrated by holding the blade against the palm of my hand while it was running. However, skin that cannot move, like over the shin, can be cut, as well as the bone beneath it.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

My problem with doing that is that I can get a whole package of recriprocating saw blades for the price of one for the Multimaster.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Haven't tried it with the Harbor Freight, but I have personally verified it with the Fein.

Same principle as the saws that doctors use to remove casts--it cuts the cast but if they go too deep it doesn't cut the skin.

I suspect that it would be a different story with the knife-edged tools. Haven't tried it with one of them.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Few questions, Does the Dremel hold the cutting tool. I tried one at a show and the blade kept falling off the teeth/dowels that holds it in place. It seemed the washer wasn't getting tight enough to hold it against the blade. Does the HF Tool have teeth to hold the tool, I see the blades have 4 holes in them so I'd expect the tool has 4 teeth or dowels???? I need one of these tools to trim baseboard to accommodate wider door casings.

Thanks for any review you can provide. Rich

Reply to
evodawg

Well, you've got to snug the blade down pretty hard. I mean REALLY tighten the allen-bolt. Spot welding helps. You learn.

As to whether the machine will cut human tissue, no it won't.

In fact, my tool went missing. I found it on the nightstand next to the bed and my current squeeze claimed complete ignorance...

Reply to
HeyBub

You owe me a keyboard.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Yow-owowouch! What a grow-owowouch!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

So Jack, I guess the question that has to be asked, are the Dremel blades as good or at comparible in quality to the Fein in practical use?

Also, I am remembering some discussion on another group of the problems with blades loosening up on the Dremels when being used. A call to Dremel ( IF I am remembering correctly) got the individual some kind of star washer or other arrangment to help remedy that problem.

Anyway, have you had a chance to use the Dremel blades, and more importantly, do you like them? I wouldn't expect Fein quality at half the price, but wonder if the blades are just more Chinese crap.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41