Help...Dewalt chuck replacement

I need help replacing a Dewalt chuck. I followed the manual and opened the chuck allowing me to unscrew the bolt inside the chuck. Next I need to remove the chuck from the body of the drill but have been unable to do so. When I try and loosen the chuck the internal gears just spin around. What is the next step after removing the internal screw? Thanks for the help.

Reply to
wildcatpete

Don't know about DeWalt but most drills have a slot immediately behind chuck that you can put a pin.nail or what ever in. which locks the shaft so that you can unscrew the chuck. Note that some chucks are" lefthanded '" threaded in removing. especially those which do not have" reverse." Jack

Reply to
Jack

Chuck the short end of a 1/4 inch Allen wrench in the chuck. Aim the chuck away from you. Turn the Allen wrench so the long end is on the right side. Hit down on the wrench with a hammer or piece of wood. The impact should loosen the chuck. You may need to hit it a couple of times.

Frank

Reply to
Frank K.

I did have one that did not respond to smacking the handle of the Allen wrench. I opened the jaws of the vise and put the drill in reverse with the Allen wrench tightly in the chuck. I let the wrench get a running start at the vise jaw and it spun the chuck off easily. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG