Fixing a Dewalt DW945

I have a Dewalt DW945 cordless drill, that I had to take apart to fix. I couldn't get the chuck off, so I had to pry it open at the back, and I had a hard time putting the case back togther. It seems to be back together, but the chuck doesn't turn when the motor does anymore, :( so I guess I should take it apart again. This time I would like to take the chuck and the ring behind it off first but I don't know how.

There is no screw to loosen in the bottom of the chuck (unless it is missing already), and I see no way to hold the shaft in place while I turn the chuck. I don't even remember which way to turn the chuck to unscrew it. Clockwise maybe, when looking from the front??

(I've looked at the Dewalt site and elsewhere on the web to try to answer these questions, but no luck.):

Also what is a versa-chuck? I guess it has something to do with the numbers 0-11 around the ring behind the chuck. I know I don't have another one, and I know I want one, but I don't know what it is.

Also, it has both drill and screwdriver settings with a slide thing on the top, but it also has I and II settings with a slide thing on the bottom, and I don't know what those mean.

Reply to
mm

Don't bother. Send the corpse back to deWalt and let them repair it, or discard it and buy another. For your other questions call customer service and ask them to send you an owner's amnual. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

HTH = hope that helps.

With all due gratitude, it really doesn't help.

The question remains: How do I get the chuck off?

I'm not the original purchaser, and I'm not going to buy any accessories, so I don't want to impose on Dewalt for an owner's manual, nor do I want to pay a fair price for a whole manual just to learn about those three things. two of which won't matter if I don't get the thing to run. I did check their website and I didn't find anything to help me. (It seems I meant to say Versa-Clutch, not Versa-chuck, and it is a "torque adjustment system to "dial" the proper torque needed to efficiently drive fasteners without stripping or breaking fastener". So those are the numbers 0 to 11. Sounds great. So that leaves only two questions.

This ng is called xxx.xxx.repair. Repairing things is a value in itself to me. I know how to buy new, and I don't even need to do that: Not counting this, I already have 5 corded drills** and 2 cordless ones**, so I'm not going to buy another one. But I still want to fix up this one. I'm close to succeeding***. Even if I can't get the chuck off, I can probably pry it open at the back and then close it right the second time. But I would like to take the chuck off.

**Three of these I saved from destruction, so even though it seems like hording, I figure I'm entitled. And one I bought at a yard sale. The only ones I think I should give to someone are the Tapgun I mentioned a few months ago and the matching Tapdrill. But I want to keep the Tapgun for a while longer to see if I might use it. ***It's not worth it to me to buy a new battery, 40 or 50 dollars, so I just connected some wires to the battery contacts. So I can run it off a car or car battery, or car battery charger. Won't be as cordless as it was, but I still might like it for some uses.
Reply to
mm

I've taken off the chuck on a makita- opened the jaws to the max- unscrew the phillips head screw at the center (usual rotation - counterclockwise) then take a bigger size allen wrench- chuck it tight, then give a reverse rotation whack to the allen wrench- should spin off. clockwise. Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

Darn, I'm getting old. I guess I did the thing with the allen wrench

10 or 15 years ago, but I forgot that step. Thanks.

The screw is gone, if there was one, so I'm half way there.

Reply to
mm